While most social and behavioral sciences (SBS) graduates go directly into employment, many have also successfully pursued graduate studies in social work, occupational therapy, counseling, teaching, law, and public policy and management.
What are the Undergraduate Programs in Public Health at USM/LAC?
What is the new MPH program at Muskie School at USM?
What is Mental Health Rehabilitation Technician (MHRT) Certification?
Can I use the SBS degree to become a social worker?
SBS graduates are working in a wide range of professional positions such as:
• Employment specialist/program development
• Head Start/early childhood education
• Hospice work
• Human services casework (child/family, adoption/foster care)
• Law and legislative policy
• Pastoral care counseling
• Residential casework & counseling
• Substance abuse counseling
• Training and development
In addition to serving as a strong foundation for admission into a range of graduate school programs, the SBS degree has prepared students and aided in career advancement in a wide variety of professions in human services, mental health, education and business. SBS graduates occupy positions throughout public and private sectors in Maine. The list below is a sampling of positions held by USM LAC alumni, from a survey of graduates and other information gathered informally. Most all of these positions were held without completion of a graduate degree. This list demonstrates both the versatility of the degree and that it can prepare students for immediate entry into careers in the mental health and other human service professions.
- Academic/Career Counselor, USM LAC
- Adolescent Counselor, Dirigo Place
- Alcohol and Drug Counselor, Community Concepts, Inc.
- Associate Director, Empower Lewiston, Faith Works, Inc.
- Business Owner (self-employed) Care Coordinator, Alpha One
- Case Management/Team Leader, Seniors Plus
- Case Manager, Community Health and CounselingChild Protective Worker, State of Maine
- Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CADC)
- Clinical Coordinator, Tri-County Mental Health (TCMH)
- Community Educator, REACH (Rape Education / Crisis, Oxford)
- Community Respite Coordinator, John F. Murphy Homes
- Community Service and Service Learning Coordinator, AmeriCore/Vista
- Consumer Services Assoc, Western Maine Area Agency on Aging
- Court Advocate, Abused Women’s Advocacy Project
- Crisis Intervention Specialist, Lewiston Police Dept.
- Developmental Therapist, Family Focus
- Developmental Trainer/Coordinator, John F. Murphy Homes, Inc.
- Director/Owner, Child Care/Preschool
- Economic Developer, Coastal Enterprises, Inc.
- Education Coordinator, Big Brothers, Big Sisters
- Employment and Training Specialist, ME Dept.of Labor
- Employment Specialist, Goodwill Industries
- Family Support Specialist, Goodwill Employment Services
- Graduate Schools in Nursing, Law, Social Work, Nutrition
- Hospice Volunteer Coordinator, Hospice/Midcoast ME
- Human Services Caseworker, State of Maine
- Law School Intern/Research Assistant, University of South Dakota
- Licensed Social Worker, d’Youville Pavilion
- Licensed Social Worker, Maine Veteran’s Home
- Maine Division of Elder Independence
- Mayor (Former), City of Lewiston, ME
- Occupational Therapist, Alpha One
- Pastoral Care Counselor, State of Massachusetts
- Peer Counselor, CED
- Prevention Educator, Advocates for Children
- Registered Counselor (self-employed)
- Resident Technician, St. Mary’s Hospital
- Residential Instructor, Alternative Services
- Residential Service Worker, (TCMH), Lewiston
- Residential Support Specialist, RAFTS, Inc.
- Site Supervisor, Androscoggin County Child Care/Head Start
- Social Services Manager, Western Maine Area Agency on Aging
- Staff Counselor, ELAN School
- Substance Abuse Counselor, Victory Program
- Supervisor, Foster Care, Catholic Charities of Maine
- Teachers; Auburn, Lewiston, Sabattus
- Teaching Care Provider, Turning Point Farm, New Gloucester
- Unit Supervisor, Peoples Heritage Bank