USM’s Early Study-Aspirations Program is a fall and spring semester academic program for qualified high school juniors and seniors to enroll in college courses (online excluded) at the university. The program is intended to provide students with the opportunity to enrich their high school experience and help them supplement their academic endeavors.
To qualify for the participation in the Early Study-Aspirations program students must meet the following conditions:
- The recommendation of their school counselor
- Be a junior or senior enrolled in a Maine public high school/homeschooled/approved secondary private school
- Be at least 16 years old at the start of the semester
- Have an overall B average at the start of the requested semester
Some advantages to participating in the Early Study-Aspirations Program are:
- Earn college credit
- Qualify for reduced tuition
- Enhance your learning experience
- Become familiar with the college setting (online courses are not covered)
To get started, download the Early Study-Aspirations application. There are some private schools and academies that are approved for funding through the Early Study program. Click here for the list. Students attending any of these schools MUST fill out a Verification of Public Funding Form to hand in with their application materials. Please include a Transcript Request Form with the application materials, as we do not send out grades in any other way.
To help you search for classes and fill out the course information on the application here are two PDF’s.
Please Note: Students cannot register themselves for class. USM staff will register students requesting a Portland/Gorham course registration on August 1st (Fall semester) and January 1st (Spring semester), for LAC class registration will begin June 1st (Fall semester) and December 1st (Spring semester).
If you have any questions about the Early Study-Aspirations Program please do not hesitate to contact the Student Success Center at 780-4040 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.