USM Teams Up with SALT to Teach Students Money Skills for Life
Ever wished you had a money coach to help you make better decisions about spending, saving, and borrowing money? Whether you’re trying to keep enough dollars in your pocket to enjoy the occasional recreation, wondering how you’ll repay all those student loans, or out in the real world trying to balance your budget, chances are money is on your mind—a lot. Now you have a free resource to help you beef up your money skills, thanks to the new educational program SALT.
USM is part of a growing list of higher education institutions nationwide to join SALT, a dynamic program that supports you as you finance higher education and manage student loans, as well as handle the many financial decisions you face after school. SALT will educate, empower, and engage you to truly own your finances by making it immediately rewarding, easy, and fun to make smarter student loan and financial decisions.
By now, all USM students should have received an email invitation to join SALT for free, and you’ll soon start to see more SALT posters and advertisements around campus. Here are five ways SALT can help you:
1. Demystify student loans. The choices you make now in borrowing for college can affect your financial wellness for years to come. At saltmoney.org/USM, you can learn the difference between federal and private loans, or subsidized vs. unsubsidized interest. Making better borrowing decisions now can put more cash in your wallet later.
2. Get money smart. Learn all about banks, budgeting, credit reports, and more with SALT’s online interactive My Money 101 courses.
3. Crunch your numbers. When you log on to saltmoney.org/USM, you can access a personal dashboard where you can track all your federal and private student loans in one place. Find the right repayment fit by comparing the pros and cons of various payment options. Then plan for the future and figure out how far your money will take you based on your projected income and where you’ll live.
4. Get loan advice from an expert counselor. As a SALT member, you have access to chat with a student loan expert one-on-one via email or phone.
5. Find a job, internship, or scholarship. SALT offers members a searchable database of over 50,000 job and internship opportunities from more than 23,000 employers, as well as a constantly updated list of more than 2 million scholarships worth $15 billion.
Check out this video that explains how to sign up and use a few of the features of SALT SALT Tutorial
For more information or questions about SALT, contact one of following SALT Champions
Dan Welter at 207.780.5081 or email@example.com
Janet Etzel at 207.753.6519 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Jean Kerrigan at 207.780.4707 or email@example.com
Aubrey Seppa-Hodgkins at 207.780-4349 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Rebecca Silverman at 207.780.4877 or email@example.com.