Join us for USM's Annual Summer Psychology Institutes!
Learn from nationally recognized psychology experts! The institutes offer a fast-paced, intensive review of current theory and practice, presented by a team of academic experts in adult, childhood, health, and sport psychology.
Open to all students and Professionals!
For more information on the presenters and schedule, please visit the institute pages below:
- For Academic Credit- Register via MaineStreet or call (207) 780-5900. Visit Registration Information for further details regarding academic registration. Students taking summer courses for credit are subject to the standard University of Southern Maine student fees.
- For Noncredit/Continuing Education Units- Register online for Noncredit/CEUs by clicking on the registration links below or call (207) 780-5900.
Health Psychology Institute - June 19-June 21, 2013
- Online Health Psychology Institute- June 19-July 22, 2013
Sport Psychology Institute - June 26-June 28, 2013
Adult Psychopathology Institute - July 10-July 12, 2013
Childhood Psychopathology Institute - July 24-26, 2013
- Online Childhood Psychopathology Institute- July 24-August 23, 2013
Price includes basic registration, some course materials, continental breakfasts, beverage breaks and lunch Wednesday thru Friday. Lunches will be held from Noon - 1:00 p.m. in the cafeteria area located in the Woodbury Campus Center. Vegetarian lunch options will be readily available at all times. If you have special dietary needs, please inform us and accommodations can be made for your particular needs.
Academic Credit - 3 undergraduate credits + special course fee
- In-state: $856*
- Out-of-state: $2,092*
*Plus mandatory university fees. Students taking summer courses are also subject to the standard University of Southern Maine fee structure that is in place. For example: Students registering for one, 3-credit course in the summer would pay and additional $154.
Noncredit/Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
Participants may register for full institute or one day sessions.
- Full Institute: $475
- Individual day: $175
Participants may register for either three (3) undergraduate academic credits of Independent Study (PSY 390) or for re-certification with Continuing Education Units (CEU's) but not both. In order to obtain academic credit, students must do each of the following:
- Attend all sessions of the three-day institute (attendance is taken by staff each day)
- Acquire and read an assigned textbook of the particular institute
- Write a reaction paper to both the institute speakers and the required textbook
- Complete a take-home essay exam, which will be given out the last day of the institute
The textbook will be available at the USM bookstore located on the Portland campus two weeks prior to the start of the institute. The textbook does not need to be purchased prior to the institute.
Each of the institutes can be taken yearly, as the curriculum content varies each summer they are offered. Students may also take more than one of the four different institutes we offer during the summer months.
Continuing Education Units for the Psychology Institutes are available for a wide range of professionals. If you are interested in CEUs, you must register as a noncredit participant and follow the guidelines below.
- Psychologists: Approved for category 1 CEUs. For a full institute, you will be awarded 15 contact hours. For verification purposes, attendance is taken daily at the institute.
- Teachers: Approved by the Maine Department of Education/Professional Development Center. For a full institute, you will be awarded 15 contact hours. You must attend all sessions of the institute and fill out the CEU form you receive on the first day. Develop a 1-2 page reaction paper (professional growth statement) detailing how the information gained is pertinent to your career and return it with the CEU form to the Summer Session Office for processing.
- Social Workers, Counselors, Nurses, etc.: CEUs do not require pre-approval, but you must determine that the material covered is relevant to your work in order for the CEUs to be accepted for your relicensure. For a full institute, you will be awarded 15 contact hours. For verification purposes, attendance is taken daily at the institute.
Register online for Noncredit/Continuing Education Units.