What STI (Sexually Transmitted Infection/Disease) Testing is available and will one blood test cover all diseases?
There are a variety of tests available for STIs. Although we can do several tests from one tube of blood, there is NOT one test that will cover all STIs. Some tests require blood and others require urine or genital samples. The most common tests ordered are:
Chlamydia/Gonorrhea - This can be done on samples from inside the vagina in females and on a sample from inside the tip of the penis OR on urine samples on females and males. Most males prefer to collect a urine sample. Our test can detect chlamydia approximately 30 hours after infection and gonorrhea (GC) 48 hours after infection.
- HIV - Blood test. Our confidential (NOT anonymous) test can detect HIV infection in most people 3 months or more after infection.
- Syphilis (RPR) - Blood test. Our test can detect syphilis infection from 3-90 days after infection.
- Herpes - A culture is done if a lesion is present. Other tests can be discussed with your provider.
- Wet Prep - This is done on samples from inside the vagina in females. This test is used to detect yeast infection, bacterial infection, and trichomonas.
Human Papilloma Virus (HPV or Genital Wart Virus) - This is most often detected on a pap smear in females. A small percentage of people with HPV have genital warts which are detected by visual exam in females and males. There is a test to identify HPV in females that is used for follow-up of certain abnormal pap smear results. No HPV test has been approved for use in males.
NOTE: Other tests may be indicated - you may consult with a nurse practitioner who will decide along with you which tests are appropriate. All of our services are confidential!
How much do these tests cost?
- Chlamydia $20.00-$40.00
- Gonorrhea $20.00-$40.00
- HIV* - $25.00
- Syphilis* - $15.00-$25.00
- Herpes - Culture $162.00
- Wet Prep - $15.00
- Thin Prep Pap* - $45.00
*Abnormal tests may result in additional testing and charges
NOTE: We are unable to bill insurance companies. Private insurance may cover these tests so you may want to check regarding reimbursement. If you have the USM student insurance policy these tests may be covered. If you do not have health insurance it may be best to consider local options that may be less expensive:
Portland STD Clinic - Walk-in clinic is Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3:00 – 6:00pm. Call 874-8446. Planned Parenthood is also an option. Call 874-8881.