Registration begins Friday, September 20th. Student can take a maximum of 4.5 credits.
Please remember, payment is due within five business days of registration. Non-payment may result in late fees or cancellation.
Online: If you have previously taken courses at USM within the last two years, you may register anytime after registration begins using the University's MaineStreet Student Self-Service.
By Phone: You may register by calling (207) 780-5900 or TTY# 207-780-5646
In Person: Students may register at Professional & Continuing Education, 218 Abromson Center; Student Success Center, 119 Payson Smith Hall, Portland; Student Success Center, 119 Bailey Hall, Gorham; Student Success Center, 119 Lewiston Auburn Campus; or the Registrar's Office, 101 Bailey Hall, Gorham during regular business hours.
Academic Advising for students with declared majors is available by contacting specific academic departments. Academic advising for undeclared or non-matriculated (special) students is available through our Student Success Centers on the Portland, Gorham, and Lewiston-Auburn campuses. The Centers provide academic advising to assist students in interpreting University curricular requirements and making decisions regarding an appropriate selection of courses.
- Registration Changes -Students may not add a course after the second day. Registration for pass/fail, audit, and repeat courses must be declared by the student at the time of registration. Any changes to pass/fail, audit, or repeat status must be done before the second class meeting. Added courses must be paid for in full the day of registration.
- Credit Limit -Students can take a maximum of 4.5 credits during Winter Session.
- Late Regsitration - Students may add a course through the second day with permission of the instructor only. Students may not add a winter course beyond the second day.
- Academic Withdrawal Policy - Students withdrawing after the add/drop period through 60% of the course will receive a W grade. Students withdrawing after 60% of the course will receive an automatic grade of F.
- Failure to Withdraw Penalty - Failure to submit notice of withdrawal may result in a failing grade and a financial liability. Discussion with a faculty member is not proper notification of change. In the case of a student withdrawal after the automatic grade "W" period, the student will receive a grade designation to be determined by the instructor.
- Grades and Transcripts - If you are a current USM student, grades are available online via MaineStreet Student Self-Service. Non-Matriculated students or USM students who desire official documentation of Winter coursework must complete a Transcript Request form and submit to the Registrar's Office.
- Course Cancellation - The University reserves the right to cancel courses in the case of low enrollment or lack of qualified instructor.
- Audits - Students may register for courses on a audit basis. With an audit registration, the student may participate in class work, but is not required to take examinations. An audit registrant should know, however, that state departments of education do not accept for certification or other purposes any course taken on an audit basis. An audit registrant is required to pay full tuition for the course. Registration status may not be changed beyond the second day.
- Apply to Graduate - Students who expect to complete baccalaureate or graduate degree requirements this Winter should submit an Application for Degree. This form is also available at all Student Success Centers and the Registrar's Office.
- Disclaimer - The University reserves the right to cancel course offerings, to set minimum and maximum size of classes, to change designated instructors of courses, and to make decisions affecting the academic standing of anyone participating in a course or program offered by the University of Southern Maine.