Accelerated Graduate Pathways
Accelerated Graduate Pathway to Leadership Studies
For highly motivated undergraduate students who are already looking ahead to graduate school, USM offers an Accelerated Graduate Pathway to the Leadership Studies master’s program that allows you to begin graduate study while completing your bachelor's degree, saving you time and money -- which means you'll be ready for a career that much sooner, with your bachelor's and master’s degrees in hand.
In order to gain full admission into the Master of Arts in Leadership Studies program, a student must meet the following admission standards:
- Maintain at least a 3.00 undergraduate cumulative GPA (student must have a cumulative GPA of 3.00 at end of undergraduate career);
- Complete the following courses with grades of B+ or better: LOS 300, LOS 329, and LOS 350;
- Complete the following course with a grade of B or better: LOS 500.
Students are required to maintain 3.0 GPA or higher and complete all conditions as outlined above. A minimum of 108 undergraduate credits and 36 graduate credits are required to complete both degrees.
Students must meet all previous conditions in order to continue from their undergraduate degree into the Master of Arts in Leadership Studies program. Students must be officially in the accelerated pathway in order to move from the undergraduate degree to the graduate program without a separate admission application process.
How to Apply:
- On the Common App, select your preferred choice of major; then you will see the following option: “Please indicate your interest in one of the following accelerated pathway options at the University of Southern Maine” from which you can select a Pathway.
- In the University of Maine System application, select your First Choice Major; then you will see the following drop-down menu: Accelerated Graduate Degree Pathway (First Choice Major), from which you can select a Pathway.
- If you are a Transfer or Continuing Student, please contact the University of Southern Maine Advising Office to meet with an academic advisor who can review your previous coursework and determine your eligibility for entering an Accelerated Graduate Pathway. Please call (207) 780-4040 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recommended Course Sequence
Students wishing to progress through the graduate program in five years should take LOS 500: Foundations of Leadership I and LOS 550: Cultural Contexts during the fall semester and LOS 501: Foundations of Leadership II and LOS 512: Deliberate Creativity and Innovation during the spring semester of their fourth year of study. After successfully completing these four courses as well as all undergraduate requirements, students will complete their undergraduate degree and become matriculated as a graduate student in the MLS program.
Accelerated Pathway Student Schedule
- Shared Senior Year Fall: 500, 550
- Shared Senior Year Spring: 501, 512
After Matriculation into the MLS Program
- Summer One: 610, 2 electives* (one fulfilling the second context requirement)
- Fall Two: 611, 688, elective*
- Spring Two: 689, elective*
*Electives from outside of the program may be taken with prior approval from your faculty advisor.