University of Southern Maine Arboretum
Robie-Andrews Hall (Area B)
Turning east toward School Street and crossing the path that leads to Robie-Andrews Hall, walkers will encounter a Fort McNair Red Horsechestnut (Aesculus x carnea ‘Fort McNair’) (B-1). This variation of horsechestnut was created for its showy foliage and beautiful yellow-throated pink flowers that blossom in mid-May.
Rejoining the path, the walking tour proceeds up over the hill to the front of Robie-Andrews Hall. The original Robie Hall was constructed in 1898 and contained rooms, lounges, and dining for female students. Increases in student enrollment over the next 20 years led to the attachment of a new wing, East Hall, to Robie Hall in 1916. East Hall was renamed Andrews Hall in 1956. The attached buildings have come to be known collectively as Robie-Andrews Hall, currently home to both male and female students, and the USM Art Department.
In front of the Andrews (east) side of the hall, a clump form example of a Corneliancherry Dogwood (Cornus mas) (B-2) can be viewed. The Corneliancherry’s brilliant yellow flowers are among the first to appear in the spring, usually blossoming in the end of March or first of April. The bright red fruit on this Dogwood can be used for syrups and preserves. Also located in this area is a group of Mission Arborvitae (Thuja occidentalis ‘Techney’) (B-3). Turning west toward Corthell Hall, a Japanese Stewartia (Stewartia pseudocamellia) (B-4) can be found. The Japanese Stewartia’s fall foliage is an impressive show of reds and purples, plus the outstanding winter bark color and texture makes the tree a favorite for year-round landscaping.Start Slideshow