- Master of Science, Adult Education, University of Southern Maine 1992
- Bachelor of Science, History/Secondary Education (Minor in Coaching & Physical Education), University of Southern Maine 1977
Al Bean is just the third person since 1955 to serve as the Director of Athletics at the University of Southern Maine. He began his five-decade long relationship with the institution first as a student-athlete as a member of the Huskies' baseball team. Bean went on to serve as an assistant baseball coach, sports information director, assistant athletic director and currently athletics director since 1993.
During his years at USM, Bean has been instrumental in the creation of the USM Athletic Association, the Husky Hall of Fame, Honors Night, the William B. Wise Scholar-Athlete Awards, the Husky Golf Classic, Husky Heroes and most recently the Full Potential, the Fan Experience Committee and Artists & Athletes initiatives. He has helped lead numerous initiatives and projects that have resulted in the construction of the Costello Field House, the USM Ice Arena, the renovation of the USM Baseball Stadium, Hannaford Field - the Huskies first artificial exterior playing surface and home to the men's and women's soccer and lacrosse teams and the field hockey team, and most recently, the USM Softball Stadium project.
An active presenter and member on numerous committees, Bean served a four-year term on the NCAA's Division III Management Council. Additionally, Bean was Commissioner of the Little East Conference for five years, has sat on the Board of Directors for the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA), has served as the president of the National Association of Division III Athletic Administrators (NADIIIAA), was a member of the ECAC Board of Directors. He has also served as the National Chair of the Division III Women’s Ice Hockey Committee, as a member of the Division III National Baseball Committee, Chair of the NCAA Division III Playing and Practice Committee and is currently a member of the Little East Conference Executive Committee, the New England Hockey Conference and the conference representative for the National Association of Athletic Development Directors (NAAD).
Bean received his B.S. in history and education from USM in 1977 and later earned his M.S. in adult education in 1992. Bean is a member of the USM Husky Hall of Fame, the Maine Baseball Hall of Fame and the Little East Conference Hall of Fame. He was also honored as the Under Armour Athletic Director of the Year by NACDA, earned the Multiple Sclerosis Leadership Award and was placed on the USM College of Education Bailey Hall Wall of Honor. Bean, his wife, Robin and three children: Spenser, Eva and Jackson reside in Standish, Maine.
Awards and Recognition
- Windham High School – Yearbook Dedication - 1981
- University of Southern Maine - Husky Hall of Fame – Inducted in 1989
- Maine Baseball Hall of Fame - Inducted to the MBHF in 1997
- Multiple Sclerosis Society - MS Leadership Award, Class of 1998
- University of Southern Maine – Distinguished Professional Staff Award in 2002
- Little East Conference Hall of Fame – Inducted in October 2012
- Division III Under Armour Athletic Director of the Year 2013
- University of Southern Maine – College of Education, Bailey Hall Wall of Honor – 2013
- National Baseball Hall of Fame Citation
- National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA)
- National Association of Athletic Development Directors (NAADD), Little East Conference Representative
- National Association of Division III Athletic Administrators (NADIIIAA
- Little East Conference – Executive Committee of Athletic Directors, Vice Chair
- New England Hockey Conference – Executive Committee
- Reed Allen Charitable Foundation – Board of Directors
NCAA Division III National Baseball Committee - Chair, New England Region; NCAA National Task Force on Gambling, Little East Conference Executive Committee; NCAA Division III Women’s Ice Hockey Committee - Vice President; NADIIIAA, Chair, NADIIIAA (Professional Development Committee); NCAA Division III Commissioners Association, Co-Chair of the New England Alliance; ECAC New England Baseball Committee, ECAC Men's Soccer Committee, ECAC Women's Basketball Committee, ECAC East Hockey Executive Committee, National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics, NYSP Board of Directors. National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA) – Executive Committee, Professional Development Committee, Learfield Sports Directors’ Cup, NACDA Honors & Awards Committee, NACDA Professional Development Committee, NACDA Nominating Committee. National Association of Division III Athletic Administrators (NADIIIAA), Past President, Board of Directors, Little East Conference – Executive Committee of Athletic Directors – Chaired the Search Committee for Little East Conference Commissioner hired in 2013, Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC), Board of Directors, ECAC Committee on Inclusive Sports, Men’s Ice Hockey Executive Committee and the ECAC League & Affiliates Committee.