Don't see your company on this list? Read on or contact our Employer Relationship Managers at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how to start your own internship program with USM!
Designing and Implementing an Internship Program
Created by our team, this manual is a great tool to jumpstart the creation of an internship program for your company/organization. Download the manual here.
How do I advertise my organization’s available internships?
We encourage organizations to extend their reach to the widest possible pool of student interns through our online recruiting database, USMCareerConnections. If you need help posting to the internship board, please email email@example.com. Whether you post the opportunity yourself or send it to us directly, we will distribute your internship opportunity through a variety of other methods including our posting to our website and physical bulletin board, sending weekly e-mails, and notifying relevant departments.
NACE Criteria for an experience to be defined as an internship:
- The experience must be an extension of the classroom: a learning experience that provides for applying the knowledge gained in the classroom. It must not be simply to advance the operations of the employer or be the work that a regular employee would routinely perform.
- The skills or knowledge learned must be transferable to other employment settings.
- The experience has a defined beginning and end, and a job description with desired qualifications.
- There are clearly defined learning objectives/goals related to the professional goals of the student’s academic coursework.
- There is supervision by a professional with expertise and educational and/or professional background in the field of the experience.
- There is routine feedback by the experienced supervisor.
- There are resources, equipment, and facilities provided by the host employer that support learning objectives/goals
If you are an employer in Maine in a STEM field and looking for a fully funded intern, learn about our MEIF Supported Internships.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 207-228-8505.