Our 2018 graduates were 20% more likely to have a full-time job upon graduation if they completed an internship. Let us help get you one.
Schedule an appointment with a Career Advisor to learn about internships and prepare your application materials.
To learn more about where your classmates are interning you can view this interactive map of the over 430 employers that have taken on USM interns or this list of more than 300 unique sites where USM students interned last year.
Employers post interships on USM's Job board. Current students can log in to the system by first logging in to the USM MyCampus Portal and then clicking the blue cube icon on the upper left in the "launchpad."
The Maine Economic Improvement Fund (MEIF) represents Maine’s ongoing commitment between the state and the University of Maine System to advance research and development, commercialization, workforce development, and economic development.
Specific fields targeted for the MEIF interships are:
- Advanced Technologies for Forestry and Agriculture
- Aquaculture and Marine Sciences
- Composites and Advanced Materials Technologies
- Environmental Technologies
- Information Technologies
- Precision Manufacturing
The MEIF-supported internship programs are intentionally-designed learning experiences that integrate knowledge and theory learned in the classroom with practical application and skills development in professional setting with host site community partners.
Your internship workplace experience will be an extension of your classroom learning. The internship will give you the opportunity to gain valuable experience and to make connections in a professional field you may be considering for a career path.
MEIF-funded internships offer:
- Practical application of classroom learning
- Generous pay of $14/hour
- Work of approximately 12 hours/week (150-180 hours/semester; 300-360 hours total)
- Placement in Maine
To be eligible, you must:
- Be matriculated at USM as full-time or part-time student
- Have at least a 2.7 overall GPA and a minimum of 30 credits prior to the internship
- Be able to commit to the year-long internship of 150-180 hours/semester
More information about becoming a MEIF-Supported student intern is available here, or Click to read about our office's MEIF funded internships, called "Career Exploration Across Sectors (CEAS)," in the USM News!
There are three USM MEIF-funded Career Pathways programs. To apply, please select the program in which you are interested:
- Career Exploration Across Sectors (CEAS)- hosted by the Career & Employment Hub (not currently accepting applications)
- Food Studies
- Maine Regaulatory Training and Ethics Center (MeRTEC)
Academic (for-credit) Internships
Every major at USM offers an internship opportunity. A full list of internship courses can be found here. There are also a number of internship coordinators focused on different departments:
Researching Internship Companies
Researching a company can help you prepare for an internship. Doing a little research about a company before an interview or job fair can help you stand out from the crowd of other applicants, and give you insights into the organizational culture and industry operating conditions. Begin your research!
Click to learn even more about internships.