Our 2018 graduates were 20% more likely to have a full-time job upon graduation if they completed an internship. Let us help get you one.
Schedule an appointment with a Career Advisor to learn about internships and prepare your application materials.
Student Internship Experiences:
To learn more about where your classmates are interning you can view this interactive map of the over 430 employers that have taken on USM interns.
Employers post internships on USM's Job board. Current students can log in to the system by first logging in to the USM MyCampus Portal and then clicking the blue cube icon on the upper left in the "launchpad."
The Maine Economic Improvement Fund (MEIF) represents Maine’s ongoing commitment between the state and the University of Maine System to advance research and development, commercialization, workforce development, and economic development. Specific fields targeted for the MEIF internships are:
- Advanced Technologies for Forestry and Agriculture
- Aquaculture and Marine Sciences
- Composites and Advanced Materials Technologies
- Environmental Technologies
- Information Technologies
- Precision Manufacturing
The MEIF-supported internship programs are intentionally-designed learning experiences that integrate knowledge learned in the classroom with practical skill development at community partner host sites. The internship will give you the opportunity to gain valuable experience and to make connections in a professional field you may be considering for a career path. MEIF-funded internships offer:
- Practical application of classroom learning
- Generous pay of $14/hour
- Work of approximately 12 hours/week (150-180 hours/semester)
- Placement in Maine
To be eligible, you must:
- Be matriculated at USM as full-time or part-time student
- Have at least a 2.7 overall GPA and a minimum of 30 credits prior to the internship
- Commit to the amount of hours per semester mandated by the specific program (see below)
There are several USM MEIF-funded Career Pathways programs. To learn more and apply, please select the program in which you are interested:
- Career Exploration Across Sectors (CEAS)- hosted by the Career & Employment Hub
- Food Studies
- Maine Regulatory Training and Ethics Center (MeRTEC)
Read more information about becoming a MEIF-Supported student intern.
Academic (for-credit) Internships
Every major at USM offers an internship opportunity. A full list of internship courses can be found here. There are also a number of internship coordinators focused on different departments:
Social Work: Stacia Fitch
Researching Internship Companies
Researching a company can help you prepare for an internship. Doing a little research about a company before an interview or job fair can help you stand out from the crowd of other applicants, and give you insights into the organizational culture and industry operating conditions. Begin your research!
Click to learn even more about internships.