USM Job Shadow Program
USM Job Shadow is a one-day program that gives USM students and alumni the opportunity to spend one full day shadowing employers in Maine and nationwide. The USM Job Shadow Program is a great way for USM students and alumni to form connections with employers and gain exposure to different career possibilities in a variety of industries. Job Shadow opportunities will be offered during one week of the spring and fall semesters. The Fall 2022 Job Shadow Program will take place from October 17th – October 21st, 2022.
The USM Job Shadow program is a great opportunity to...
- Network: Build connections with employers and expand your professional network.
- Build your resume: Demonstrate your interest in a certain field (or fields) and show your willingness to learn.
- Employment opportunities: Each day you spend doing a USM Shadow program could lead to a potential internship, part-time or full-time job!
The Fall 2022 Job Shadow Program will take place from October 17th – October 21st, 2022.
The USM Job Shadow Program is open to all current USM undergraduate and graduate students, and also to USM alumni. Students from all majors and backgrounds are able to participate. (Your major does not necessarily have to be directly related to the employer/industry you shadow).
A typical Job Shadow day will include one or more of the following:
- Informational interviews with one or more employees
- Attending meetings and/or events
- Tour of the building/facilities
- Opportunities to observe and ask questions about daily/routine tasks
- Participation in organization’s interactions with clients
- Meeting interns and USM alumni working at the organization
- Learning about job and internship opportunities
You will be required to submit a resume when applying for job shadow opportunities through the posting on the USM Job & Internship Board. No other documentation is required to apply for job shadow opportunities. The Career Hub recommends attending virtual drop-in hours or making an appointment with a Career Advisor to prepare your resume before applying.
We encourage you to think strategically about the types of opportunities you are applying for to ensure these meet your personal, academic, and professional goals.
Please follow the instructions below to apply for Job Shadow Program opportunities:
How to Apply
- Sign in to the USM Job & Internship Board by logging into the MyUSM Campus Portal and clicking on the green “Job Board” icon on the launchpad.
- Type “USM Job Shadow Program” into the search bar to view a list of all job shadow opportunities.
- Double check that the date and location of the job shadow opportunity you are applying for works for you. Remember you are responsible for your own travel to the job shadow site.
- Make an appointment or attend drop-in hours with the Career Hub to go over your resume and tailor it to the job shadow opportunities that interest you.
- If you don’t have a resume yet, that is okay! Check out this handout to get started and then meet with a Career Advisor to make sure you are on the right track!
- Upload your resume into your profile on the USM Job & Internship Board by clicking “profile” on the left side of the page and then “upload resume” on the right side of the page.
- Click “apply” on the job shadow opportunity posting that you are interested in and follow the instructions to submit your resume. (You will need to upload your resume into your profile on the USM Job & Internship Board to complete this step).
- Your resume will be sent to the Career Hub at USM for a final review before being sent to the employer.
Tips on Applying for the USM Job Shadow Program
- Carefully read the location, date and description of the shadow opportunity to be sure the experience fits in your schedule and aligns with your interests and goals.
- We encourage you to apply for multiple job shadow opportunities to increase your chances of being selected.
- Apply ONLY to locations you know you can travel to.
- Customize your resume specifically for each shadow opportunity. The Career Hub can help if you are unsure how to do this - just make an appointment or attend drop-in hours with a Career Advisor!
- Check out this handout with tips about customizing your resume.
- You will receive an email from the Career Hub within two weeks of submitting your resume to inform you of whether you have been selected to participate in the Job Shadow Program.
- There will be a mandatory orientation (available both in-person and via Zoom) approximately one week before your Job Shadow Program day.
- If you are unable to attend either orientation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will work with you to schedule a 1:1 orientation.
- You will be required to sign a Photo, Video & Testimonial Release form.
- Your host employer will contact you at least one week before your job shadow day to introduce themselves and let you know where, when, and who you will be meeting.
- Research the organization where you will be job shadowing.
- Review the Career Hub’s materials about informational interviews and networking for success to prepare great questions and have productive conversations with your host employer.
- Review the Career Hub’s presentation about how to dress for success in professional settings. We recommend choosing what you will wear several days beforehand to make sure you arrive on time to your host employer!
If you have questions about how to apply or about the program in general, please email email@example.com.
- You are responsible for making sure you are able to travel to your job shadow site. USM will not provide any compensation for costs associated with travel.
- You will not receive academic credit or any form of monetary compensation for participating in the Job Shadow Program.
- You will be required to complete a mandatory orientation before your job shadow day. If you are selected for a job shadow opportunity, the Career Hub will reach out to you with orientation details. Orientations will take place approximately one week prior to your job shadow day and will be available both in-person and via Zoom.
- After your Job Shadow Program day, you will be required to send a thank you note to the employer, submit a 1-2 sentence description of your experience to the Career Hub, and complete a post-program evaluation survey.
Q: Who is eligible to participate in the USM Job Shadow Program?
A: This program is open to all current USM students and to USM alumni.
Q: Is there a cost to participate in the USM Job Shadow Program?
A: There is no cost to participate in the USM Job Shadow Program. However, if you have to travel to your job shadow location, you are responsible for all costs associated with this travel.
Q: Will I receive compensation for participating in the USM Job Shadow program?
A: You will not be offered monetary compensation or academic credit for participating in a USM Shadow program. This is a great opportunity to learn more about potential career paths, network with employers, learn job-related skills, and boost your resume!
Q: If I need to travel to a job shadow site, will I be compensated?
A: Participants are responsible for all travel costs to and from job shadow locations. If you are unsure if you can travel to a job shadow site, look for alternative opportunities in locations you know you can access.
Q: What types of industries/companies/organizations participate in the USM Job Shadow Program?
A: A wide variety of employers participate in the USM Job Shadow program. To view an updated list of participating employers, please log in to the USM Job & Internship Board and type “USM Job Shadow Program” in the search bar.
Q: How many job shadow opportunities can I apply for?
A: You can apply for as many job shadow opportunities as you would like. We encourage you to think strategically about the opportunities you apply for and how these align with your professional goals and interests.
Q: I am interested in the USM Shadow program. What should I do next?
A: First, log in to the USM Job & Internship Board and search for "USM Job Shadow Program” to see available opportunities. Next, stop by the Career Hub to have your resume reviewed by a Career Advisor during an appointment or drop-in hours. Apply to job shadow opportunities by uploading your resume to your USM Job & Internship Board profile and then by following the instructions within the job shadow posting. Be sure to apply before the deadline!
If you have questions or experience technical issues during the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: How do I log in to the USM Job & Internship Board?
A: If you are a current student, log in to your USM MyCampus Portal and click on the green "Job Board" icon on the launchpad. If you are an alumni, please log in here (you may be required to create an account if you have not done so already). If you experience issues logging in, please email email@example.com.
Q: I have been accepted for a USM Job Shadow program. What are the next steps?
A: If you are selected to participate in a USM Job Shadow program, you will be required to complete an orientation and sign a Photo Release form. After you complete your job shadow day, you will be required to send a thank you note to the employer, submit a picture of you at the host site, and complete a follow-up survey.
Q: How do I prepare for my USM Job Shadow Program day?
A: First, research the organization where you will be shadowing. Look out for an email from your host employer and make sure you understand who, where, and when you are meeting.
Next, check out our resources about informational interviews to prepare great questions for your host employer. We also recommend checking out how to network for success to form a lasting connection with your host organization. Finally, make sure to make a great impression on your host employer with our tips to dress for success.
Q: Will I need to do an interview with the Career Hub or with the employer to participate in the Job Shadow Program?
A: No, an interview is not required to participate. You will simply need to submit your resume after having it reviewed by a Career Advisor. If selected, you will meet with a Career Hub staff member to answer any questions you have.
Q: Is participation in the Job Shadow Program limited to specific majors?
A: No - all majors are encouraged to participate in the Job Shadow Program. This is a great way to explore potential career paths that you might have not previously considered, so feel free to apply for opportunities that do not align with your major. This is a great opportunity to learn something new!
Q: What do I do if I want to participate but none of the opportunities align with my major or interests?
A: The USM Job Shadow Program is a great way to learn about different types of careers and industries. We encourage you to apply for any opportunity that seems interesting to you, even if it is not related to your major or previous work experience.
Q: I did not get selected to participate in a job shadow opportunity. What are my options?
A: The Job Shadow Program occurs once per semester, so you will have an opportunity to apply again in the next semester. In the meantime, we recommend that you work with the Career Hub to craft a great resume, learn about different career paths, and define your professional interests and goals.
Q: What happens if there is a snow day and USM/the host site are closed?
A: Please communicate directly with your host site in the event of severe weather on your Job Shadow day to potentially reschedule a Job Shadow day that works for you and the host site.
Q: I am an employer and I am interested in hosting a student for a Job Shadow program day. What are the next steps?
A: If your organization is interested in hosting a USM student or alumni, please reach out to Peter Hofmann, Career Liaison, at firstname.lastname@example.org to request more information.