Federal Work Study vs. Department Funded Student Jobs
For a student to obtain a federal work study funded student job, the student needs to have federal work study funds included in their financial aide package after completing the FAFSA. For more infromation, please see the Supervisor's Guide To Federal Work-Study. Any USM student is eligible to obtain a department funded student job, regardless of whether they received federal work study or not.
Hiring a student employee? Follow these steps:
- Complete the Human Resources Security Authorization form and send to Tamara Saarinen at email@example.com.
- Complete the Supervisor Online Training via Blackboard. (Sent from Tamara)
- Create your student job description using USM’s pre-existing list and customize to your department's needs.
- Create a profile on USM’s online job posting board, USMCareerConnections, and post your job ad.
- Conduct interviews of applicants and select a student to hire.
- Complete the work authorization form online for your selected student and print and sign it.
- Have the student complete I-9 paperwork, Direct Deposit and W-4 ME and W-4 Federal.
- Fax the Work Authorization form, I-9, Direct Deposit and W-4s to Payroll at 207-561-3456.
- Show students how to enter their time into MaineStreet at the end of each day they work to ensure they are paid on time.
Timeline for Federal Work Study Work Authorization
For budgeting reasons, please respect the following cutoff dates for the Federal Work Study. Students who continue their Spring jobs beyond 5/11/2019 will need a new Summer work authorization effective 5/12/2019.
|Spring 2019 end:||5/11/19|
|Fall 2019 begins:||9/3/19|
Resources for Student Supervisors
- Student Employment Payroll Policies and Procedures
- Student Job Descriptions
- HR Hiring Forms
- How to approve time in MaineStreet
- International Student Worker Guidelines
- Manual Student Hiring form (to be used when the Student Work Auth website is unavailable)
- Student Work Authorization/Web Auth website
- Request for Access to Campus Solutions
- Sample Interview Questions for Student Employees
- Student Employee Performance Evaluation Form