Certificate in Sustainable Tourism
Your Ticket to Out There!
In conjunction with the International Ecotourism Society (TIES), USM is providing students with an exciting opportunity to become certified as sustainable tourism providers. Through TIES’s University Consortium Certificate Program students gain a holistic understanding of structuring, programming and implementing sustainable tourism. The TIES/UCC Program at USM provides students with an inherent, reality-based understanding of the principles of sustainable tourism, preparing for a future as tourism professionals.
Choose your adventure and learn to bring others with you. The program includes nine hours of course work with online options, one study abroad course and a 400-hour internship that includes a capstone project. Certification fee: $250
Interested in applying?
- Review program details on TIES website www.ecotourism.org/ucc
- Interview with Dr. David B. Jones, Recreation and Leisure Studies program (email@example.com or (207) 780-4587)
- Complete the online UCC application and submit Student Program fee ($250)
- Notice of acceptance within one month of application
- Once accepted, complete TIES-UCC Plan of Study with Academic Consortium Advisor, Dr. David B. Jones, EdD, CTRS
The UCC Study Plan at the University of Southern Maine incorporates:
- REC 223/ESP 223 Nature-based Tourism (3 credits – either classroom/online)
- Two courses that address sustainability
- At least one international course provided through USM a UCC member university that focuses on sustainable tourism:
- International Travel Sustainable Tourism Course to Newfoundland (USM)
- International Travel Sustainable Tourism Course to Belize (USM) - International Travel Sustainable Tourism Course (UCC member university)
- A 400 hour internship focused on elements of sustainable tourism