BS in Business Administration - Business Management Major with General Management Track
In addition to meeting all University requirements, students must earn a minimum grade of C- in 100-200 level courses, and a C in 300-400 level courses in all Business Core courses applied toward the degree. To ensure that students graduate with a current understanding of their field, upper-level courses taken more than 10 years before the degree is awarded must have Departmental approval for use in the Business Core or the major.
Students may declare or change a major by completing a form available at the Registrar's office. Double majors are possible as long as no more than one course (3 credit hours) applied toward one major is applied toward the second major. Under no circumstances can more than one course (3 credit hours) be double-counted for two program options (e.g., major, minor, track, or concentration) within the School of Business.
Before enrolling in their first School of Business course (ACC, BAN, BUS, FIN, or RMI designations) requiring junior standing, students majoring in a School of Business major must have junior standing (54 credits completed) and a minimum grade point average of 2.33 in USM courses. This minimum GPA requirement supersedes any course-specific GPA requirement lower than 2.33.
Overview of course requirements
- Core Curriculum (USM requirement)
- Non-Business Core (School requirement)
- Business Core (School requirement)
- Major Requirements
- General Electives
USM Core Curriculum Requirements
(up to 45 credits, minus credit counted elsewhere) please see USM Core Curriculum section of this catalog for details. School of Business specific Core courses are noted below.
- Entry Year Experience – EYE required for students entering with fewer than 24 credit hours
- College Writing
- Quantitative Reasoning: MAT 210 Business Statistics (credits counted in the non-business core).
- Creative Expression
- Socio-cultural Analysis: ECO 101 Macroeconomics (credits counted in the non-business Core)
- Cultural Interpretation
- Science Exploration
- Ethical Inquiry, Social Responsibility, and Citizenship; May be fulfilled with BUS 347 Triple Bottom Line Business
- International: May be fulfilled and double counted in the Business Core section by successful completion of BUS 335 International Business or BUS 361 International Marketing.
- Thematic Cluster or a minor of 15 credits or more or a double major of 15 or more unique credits (Note: The Professional Practices Cluster includes Business Core courses; one of which may be counted in the Business Core and in the Professional Practices Cluster.)
- Capstone: BUS 450 Business Policy and Strategy (credits counted in the Business Core)
Non-business Core Requirements (14-17 credits)
- Spreadsheet proficiency: demonstrated by passing BUS 195 Spreadsheets and Problem Solving with a grade of C or higher, or by successfully passing a School of Business spreadsheet proficiency exam. Proficiency must be demonstrated to graduate.
- ECO 101 Introduction to Macroeconomics
- ECO 102 Introduction to Microeconomics
- MAT 108 College Algebra with C- or higher grade (Substitutes include a C- or higher grade in MAT 140 or approved higher level math course or passing a CLEP exam)
- MAT 210 Business Statistics with C- or higher grade or C- or higher grade in prior credit for MAT 120, or in another approved statistics course (http://usm.maine.edu/sb/stats).
Business Core Requirements (33 credits)
A minimum of 50 percent of business core courses must be taken at USM, and the student must achieve a minimum grade in each course (listed below).
- ACC 110 Financial Accounting Information for Decision Making (C- or higher)
- ACC 211 Managerial Accounting Information for Decision Making (C- or higher)
- BUS 260 Marketing (C- or higher)
- BUS 280 Legal Environment of Business (C- or higher)
- BUS 301 Business Analytics (C or higher)
- BUS 340 Managing Organizational Behavior (C or higher)
- BUS 345 Information Technology/Management Information Systems (C or higher)
- BUS 375 Production/Operations Management (C or higher)
- BUS 450 Business Policy and Strategy (C or higher)
- FIN 320 Basic Financial Management (C or higher)
- Select one of the following international courses:
- BUS 335 International Business (C or higher)
- BUS 361 International Marketing (C or higher)
- BUS 382 International Business Law (C or higher)
- FIN 330 International Financial Management (C or higher)
Major Requirements (15 credits)
At least 50 percent of credit hours applied to the major must be taken at USM. No more than 3 credits of internship can count toward the major. Students must earn a grade point average of 2.33 or higher in the 15 credits applied toward the major.
Select 3 credits from each of three different disciplinary areas:
- Accounting (ACC 301-329, 413)
- Finance (FIN 321-330)
- Information Management (BAN 300-360, BUS 377)
- Law (BUS 380, BUS 382)
- Management (BUS 335, 342, 346, 347, 383-385, 485)
- Marketing (341, 356, 358-369, 398)
- Risk Management and Insurance (RMI 320-350)
- Sport Management (BUS 311-319, BUS 322)
Select 6 credits of 300-level or higher ACC, BAN, BUS, FIN, or RMI courses.
General Electives (remaining credits for 120 credit minimum)
The exact number of general elective credits varies and is dependent upon choices made in University
For the best overall Financial Aid package, submit your USM application and complete your FAFSA by January 15. However, you can apply at any time. Undergraduate applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.