Certificate in Applied Statistics
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics offers a certificate program in applied statistics, designed for people in area businesses, industry, government, and education, as well as providing mathematics majors with an opportunity for further recognition of their skills. The certificate is helpful for students who want to pursue a master's program in statistics but who need additional advanced undergraduate coursework. The courses are offered during the late afternoon to make them more accessible to individuals who are working.
Requirements for the certificate are successful completion of:
1. MAT 281 Introduction to Probability and MAT 282 Statistical Inference or equivalent
2. Four of the following courses:
MAT 383 System Modeling and Simulation
MAT 386 Sampling Design and Analysis
MAT 387 Introduction to Applied Biostatistical Methods
MAT 388 Statistical Quality Control
MAT 461 Stochastic Models in Operations Research
MAT 484 Design and Analysis of Experiments
MAT 485 Introduction to Applied Regression
MAT 486 Introduction to Big Data Analytics
MAT 487 Introduction to Categorical Data Analysis
MAT 488 Introduction to Data Mining
Candidates for admission must submit:
- Online application for Certificate Program;
- Official transcripts or copies of official transcripts from secondary school and/or all colleges and universities from which you received a degree;
- Additional or other special admission requirements specified by program.
The application for certificate programs is available online at http://usm.maine.edu/apply. Please note, students who are enrolled solely in an undergraduate certificate program are not eligible for Federal financial aid.