The Office of Graduate Studies (OGS) is the hub for graduate student services. We:
- Coordinate with students, faculty, and staff to assure that every student’s academic, financial, professional, and personal needs are met
- Facilitate New Graduate Student Orientation
- Provide financial support and scholarships in coordination with Student Financial Services
- Facilitate the Graduate Assistant, Research Assistant, and Teaching Assistant programs
- Foster graduate student peer and faculty engagement and make community connections
- Provide professional development and career support
- Manage graduate student policies and procedures
OGS also supports USM’s graduate faculty and works closely with the Graduate Council. The Council, which is made up of representatives from all graduate programs, provides advice regarding the quality and standards of graduate education, review of existing and proposed programs, and policy and procedures regarding admissions, degree requirements, and related matters.
All graduate students are invited to visit the Office of Graduate Studies, located on the Portland campus in 218 Abromson Center. The office can be reached by phone at (207) 780-4877 or at http://usm.maine.edu/grad. Graduate students are also advised to maintain close contact with the appropriate director or graduate coordinator in their school, college, or program.
Graduate students who need assistance or guidance with an appeals process, either an admissions appeal or a dismissal appeal, should contact the Director of Graduate Studies at (207) 780-4812. Further information on appeals is available in the academic policies section of this catalog.
Information on the Graduate Assistant program, including open assistantship opportunities, can be found at http://usm.maine.edu/grad. The Coordinator of Graduate Student Services, who can be reached at (207) 780-4877, can also provide information or answer questions.