Minor in Event Planning and Management
This minor provides students with practical skills and theoretical background in the planning, organizing, managing, and promotion of events. Students can take electives related to sport and recreation, festivals and fairs, weddings, meetings and conventions, and other types of events.
Students must complete one of the following:
- BUS 316 Sport Event Management
- TAH 311 Event Planning & Management
Then select four courses from the following list, with at least one of each prefix.
- BUS 311 Sport Marketing
- BUS 313 Sport Facility Management
- BUS 316 Sport Event Management (if not already taken)
- BUS 317 Sport Sponsorship & Sales
- TAH 221 Introduction to Hospitality Management
- TAH 261 Introduction to Cultural Tourism
- TAH 311 Event Planning & Management (if not already taken)
- TAH 340 Topics in Event Planning
- TAH 410 Seminar in Tourism Promotion (selected topics)
- TAH 440 Applied Topics in Event Planning
One of the four electives may be from the following list of professional experiences, as long as the course involves some aspect of event planning, management, sales and/or promotion.
- BUS 393 Internship in Sports Management
- TAH 209 Tourism & Hospitality Internship I
- TAH 309 Tourism & Hospitality Internship II
- TAH 407 Field Study in Tourism & Hospitality
- TAH 408 Practicum in Tourism & Hospitality
- TAH 409 Tourism & Hospitality Internship
Students who wish to pursue the minor must complete a declaration form available online or from the Registrar's Office.
The minor in event management (15 credits) is available to students in all majors. The requirements for admission to the minor are completion of at least 12 credits at USM and a grade point average of 2.33 or higher. A student may transfer into the minor up to six credit hours of acceptable courses. To complete the minor, students must have a grade point average of at least 2.33 in the minor courses. Minimum grades may be required as prerequisite to minor courses. Check course description for details.