USM Research and The Center for Collaboration & Development are proud to sponsor the 1st Annual USM Research & Scholarship Symposium. The Symposium will be a day of engaging skills-based workshops, networking, and opportunities for USM Faculty & Staff to share their research, scholarship and creative activity with the USM community. Don’t miss this opportunity to enhance your research skills and celebrate the USM Research Community!
THE SYMPOSIUM WILL FEATURE
- Welcome Breakfast
- Opening Remarks Jeannine Uzzi, Provost
- Interactive Workshops, Panel Discussions & Presentations by USM Leaders in Research & Scholarship
- Networking Lunch
- Engaging Lightning Talks by USM Faculty & Staff
- Exhibit of recent research, scholarship and creative activity from USM Faculty & Staff
- UROP Poster Presentations by USM Undergraduate Students
- Closing Reception
When: Friday March 30th, 2018, 9:00 AM - 4:30 PM With Reception To Follow.
Where: The Abromson Center, USM Portland Campus
Who: USM Faculty & Staff
What: Find a full list of workshops & presenters HERE
(You can download a copy of the list HERE)
Hannaford Hall 12:45 - 1:45 PM
What Story Does Your Research, Scholarship or Creative Activity Tell?
Lightning Talks will feature 5 to 8 minute mini presentations by USM Faculty & Staff sharing unique and surprising aspects of their research, scholarship & creative activity. Presentations will cover a wide range of topics, research fields and experiences. You won’t want to miss these compelling, lively and engaging stories!
|Sarah Jessen||Policy, Planning, & Management||Edvertising: The marketing of public education|
|Rebecca Nisetich||Honors Program||Raising the Bar: Satirizing Law in 21st Century American Literature|
|Jamie Picardy||Food Studies Program||Sustainable Seafood at USM|
|Abraham Peck||History & Political Science||Between Kaiser and Czar:American Jewry and the Strains of World War I|
|Patsy Thompson Leavitt||Nursing||What People Want: Patient Preferences for Physical Activity Support – Surprise!|
|Jan M. Pinback||Art Department||Culture, Commerce and the Environment: Art Destinations in Iceland|
|Chris Maher||Biology||What can solitary woodchucks tell us about sociality?|
|Julie Ziffer||Physics||Probing Active Frozen Worlds from the Safety of Jelm Mountain|
USM FACULTY & STAFF EXHIBITS
Abromson Center - All Day
Showcase You Recent Research, Scholarship & Creative Activity:
Research Posters Publications, Patents / Prototypes,Data Visualization, Maps, Artwork, Multi-media Work, Musical Scores, And More!
USM Research and The Center for Collaboration & Development are now accepting submissions for Recent Research, Scholarship & Creative Activity to be displayed at the 1st Annual USM Research & Scholarship Symposium on March 30th, 2018. Selected materials will be featured throughout the Abromson Center during the symposium for attendees and the public to explore and enjoy. Details about the displays and the submission process are below. Please feel free to reach Libby Bischof with any questions. We look forward to receiving your submissions.
WHO: USM Faculty & Staff
- Recent Research, Scholarship & Creative Activity
- Completed between 2012 - 2018
- May include, but not limited to: Books, Journal Articles, White Papers, Reports, Music Scores, Patented Inventions, Artworks, Multi-media Works, and more.
- Find the submission form HERE
- Submission Deadline: March 16, 2018
- Selected exhibitors will be notified on a rolling basis
- All Materials Must Be Received By 5:30 PM on March 23, 2018