The Community Based Learning Committee (CBLC) is a standing committee of the Faculty Senate. Their charge is to support the integration of community-based faculty teaching, scholarship, and service, and advance community engagement throughout the university.
The CBLC supports a wide variety of community-based scholarly and pedagogical projects pursued by faculty through faculty development initiatives in collaboration with and between units across the University. The CBLC is not an evaluative committee, but is available to advise, consult, and make recommendations on community-based work in relation to pedagogy, scholarship, relationship-building, and course integration.
The Community Based Learning Committee (CBLC) affirms that community-based teaching, learning, and scholarship are valuable pedagogically, essential to the mission of the University of Southern Maine (USM), and key to the education of its student body.
The CBLC envisions that in 5 years USM will grow as an engaged learning University, and will:
- Be regionally and nationally recognized for equitable accessible, high quality community-based learning opportunities for students;
- Fulfill the mission of a public university through prioritizing and coordinating meaningful, mutually beneficial community partnerships;
- Ensure systemic administrative support, recognition, and commitment to the growth and success of community engagement at USM.
For information about the USM President's Award for Community Engagement, please click here.
2017-18 CBLC Membership
- Sara Needleman Education email@example.com
- Michael Shaughnessy Art firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michelle Jacobus Social & Behavioral Sciences email@example.com
- Tracy Stutzman Tourism & Hospitality firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nathan Hamilton Geography/Anthropology email@example.com
- Jean Whitney Extended Teacher Education firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kelly Hrenko Art Education email@example.com
- Janet Nelson Business firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paula Gerstenblatt Social Work email@example.com
For questions about the CBLC, please contact Meghan Cadwallader, Director of Educational Partnerships (firstname.lastname@example.org).