Foundations of Service-Learning Pedagogy
The Office of Community-Based Learning is pleased to host an interactive presentation by Dr. Paula Gerstenblatt. Explore the key principles of service-learning, research potential, how it deepens academic learning, connects to the core curriculum, and concrete methodologies.
This session is part of the Spring 2014 Service-Learning Engaged Teaching Series and is useful for faculty who are interested in integrating community work into their curriculum as well as for those who already do but are looking for inspiration or a community of practitioners.
Friday, February 28th
- 9:00am to noon
- 113 Wishcamper, USM Portland Campus
- Presentation - PPT of 2-28-014 Presentation - Service Learning Pedagogy
- Syllabus - SWO403 Social Work Methods II Fall 2013
- The Learning Record
- Ted Talk: Ken Robinson - How To Escape Education's Death Valley
- Ted Talk: Ken Robinson - How Schools Kill Creativity
- Wicked Problems & Social Complexity - Jeff Conklin, PhD
- From Teaching to Learning: A New Paradigm for Undergraduate Education - Robert Barr & John Tagg
Dr. Gerstenblatt is faculty in USM's School of Social Work and the founder and former Director of the Mart Community Project located in rural Mart, Texas, a community development initiative and nationally recognized model of a reciprocal community-university partnership.
Spring 2014 Service-Learning Engaged Teaching Series
How can we develop curriculum that allows students to engage with the community in meaningful ways to address social and environmental issues, while meeting academic and civic learning goals?
This faculty-led Engaged Teaching Series provides space for faculty to come together, learn about and share effective service-learning methodologies, explore the key components of successful community-campus partnerships and discuss research potential for this work. Engaged teaching and scholarship has mutual benefits for faculty, students and the community - join us to learn more about how you can utilize these methods in your teaching and in supporting the gaining momentum for this at USM. This Spring 2014 Series includes:
- Foundations of Service Learning – Friday, 2/28
- Developing Reciprocal & Sustainable Community Partnerships – Friday, 3/7
- Community Engaged Scholarship – Thursday, April 10th