On Thursday, May 12, 2022, Sixteen Maine Teachers from across the state were honored at the Statehouse Hall of Flags in Augusta with Maine’s 2022 County Teachers of the Year Award.
Presiding at the event were Governor Janet Mills, Education Commissioner Pender Makin, Educate Maine Executive Director Jason Judd, State Board of Education Chair Fern Desjardins, 2022 Maine Teacher of the Year Kelsey Stoyanova, and Maine County and State Teachers of the Year Association Co-President Heather Whitaker. Educate Maine Executive Director Jason Judd said of the award, “The Maine teacher of the year program is more than just a recognition program. The program is designed to develop leadership and advocacy skills and elevate teachers as the experts they are in the profession.”
Hundreds of teachers across Maine were nominated by a member of their school committee as part of the Maine Teachers of the Year Program. One teacher from each county was selected. Each recipient will serve as an ambassador for teachers, students, and quality education across the state.
Education Commissioner Pender Makin said of the nomination process, “These teachers were nominated by students, colleagues, and parents for the difference they make every day in the lives of their students, for their innovation and leadership, and for their commitment to their schools and communities.”
Kelsey (Rodrigue) Boucher ’12 was presented with the Androscoggin County Teacher of the Year Award. Kelsey is a K-6 art teacher at the Robert V. Connors Elementary School, in Lewiston, a city where she was born and raised, and a community she loves. Kelsey graduated in 2012 from University of Southern Maine with a Bachelor’s of Fine Arts in Art Education with a Studio concentration in Ceramics.
Kelsey and her co-recipients will continue to participate in the rigorous Maine Sate Teacher of the Year selection process. Finalists will be selected this summer, and the winner announced in the fall. Here is the complete list or 2022 Maine County Teachers of the Year:
- Androscoggin: Kelsey Boucher, Robert V. Connors Elementary School, Lewiston
- Aroostook: Heather Anderson, Caribou Community School, Caribou
- Cumberland: Matthew Bernstein, Casco Bay High School, Portland
- Franklin: Stacey Augustine, W.G. Mallett School, Farmington
- Hancock: Rebecca Edmondson, Conners-Emerson School, Bar Harbor
- Kennebec: Seth Mitchell, Monmouth Memorial School and Monmouth Academy, Monmouth
- Knox: Bethany Goding, Prescott Memorial School, Waldoboro
- Lincoln: Tracy (Trae) Stover, Wiscasset Elementary School, Wiscasset
- Oxford: Ashley Bryant, Sacopee Valley Middle School, Hiram
- Penobscot: Emily Albee, Hampden Academy, Hampden
- Piscataquis: Nycole McEwen, Milo Elementary School, Milo
- Sagadahoc: Kathleen (Katie) Clark, Bath Regional Career and Technical Center, Bath
- Somerset: Debra Susi, Maine Central Institute, Pittsfield
- Waldo: Nancy Nickerson, Captain Albert W. Stevens School, Belfast
- Washington: Alyssa Stephens, Woodland Elementary School, Baileyville
- York: Melissa Luetje, Kennebunk High School, Kennebunk