If you're using Mac OS X 10.6.x (Snow Leopard), please click on the link for the VarioLink model of your printer, and installation software will be downloaded - but not installed on your computer.
At this time, the VL 3200X isn't supported on the Macintosh.
The file you've downloaded will appear in your default Downloads folder. These are the various file names:
In Safari, you can go to Window → Downloads, and click the spyglass icon next to the last file you've downloaded to navigate to the file. In Firefox, you can find the file in Tools → Downloads. (In Apple's Finder, select Go → Home, and double-click on the Downloads folder.) The file will be compressed in .zip or .sitx (StuffIt Expander) format. Double-clicking on this file will extract it to a folder with a similar name, or maybe just "Untitled". The final installer will be in Apple package (.pkg) format, which resembles an open brown box. Double-click on the .pkg file to run the installer, and follow the directions to complete the installation. At some point, you'll need to select your hard drive as the destination, and enter the Mac OS X account password, which is the same password you use to install Apple Software Updates.
Now you're ready to add the printer to your Print and Fax preference pane.
- In the upper left of the screen, click and hold on the Apple icon (the items underneath are called the Apple Menu), and choose System Preferences. In the System Preferences window, under Hardware, double-click the Print & Fax preference pane.
- In the Printers area on the left hand side, select any old Imagistics printers, and press the "-" button underneath the Printers area to delete the old printer from your system.
- Press the "+" button.
- In the Add Printer windows, select the IP icon at the top.
- Select "Line Printer Daemon - LPD" from the drop-down menu next to "Protocol."
- In the Address area, type in lowercase, with no quotes "
printers.usm.maine.edu". Users on the Lewiston-Auburn campus should type "
- For the Queue, enter the name you see on the orange strip on the printer. It must be in uppercase, with no spaces. An example would be "
CEHD-VL3622-7". Enter the same value in Name, for easy identification. The Location area isn't important, but you can enter anything you'd like if it helps you identify the printer.
- In the Print Using field, click on the drop-down menu and choose "Select Printer Software." In the window that pops up, you'll choose one of the GENERIC entries, depending on your model of printer.
- 2822c - GENERIC 28C-1 PS
- 3200 - not supported at this time
- 3622 - GENERIC 36BW-2 PS
- 3622c - GENERIC 36C-1 PS
- 4222 - GENERIC 42BW-2 PS
- 4522c - GENERIC 45C-3 PS
- 6022 - GENERIC 60BW-2 PS
After you press the Add button, a window will pop up where you can indicate what options are installed. After making the choices, press the Continue button, and then close System Preferences:
- 2822c, 3622, 3622c, 4222 - Paper Source Unit, Tray 3; Finisher, Finisher; Punch Unit, None; Hard Disk, checked
- 3200x - No options
- 4522c - Function Version (if present), Version 3; Paper Source Unit, None; Finisher, Finisher 2; Punch Unit, None; Hard Disk, checked
- 6022 - no information at this time
You're done adding the printer.
- The most desired print options are probably stapling, and printing on both sides of the page (duplex printing). To set these options after you choose File → Print, find the Layout/Finish choice from one of the dropdown menus in the print window. In the Layout window, choose 2-sided under the Layout tab, and Staple - Left Corner under the Finish tab.