Spend two weeks traveling in Dalian and Beijing, China
Join the USM Confucius Institute for a study trip to China, July 8-22, 2019. Dongbei University of Finance and Economics (DUFE), the partner university of the Confucius Institute at USM, will host the program in Dalian for the first part of the trip. Participants will travel to Beijing for the second part, and depart from there to return home.
The schedule in Dalian will include Chinese language classes, cultural experiences and seminars such as Chinese calligraphy and tea art, and free time to explore and experience the city. There will be tours of famous historical and modern landmarks in the region, and the trip may also include a visit to a local school or business. Participants will have the chance to experience Chinese culture up close through interactions with native Chinese students and teachers.
After about 10 days, participants will take a high-speed train from Dalian to Beijing to complete their trip. In Beijing, participants will tour China's most famous landmarks: the Great Wall, Tiananmen Square, and the Forbidden City. A visit to the Cultural Experience Center at Confucius Institute Headquarters will also be included. Participants will have the opportunity to try Peking Duck, and will also have time to explore other landmarks and destinations such as the Summer Palace, Temple of Heaven Park, and unique local markets and shopping districts.
- Tuition, room and board, and travel within China will be covered by the Confucius Institute and DUFE
- International airfare, visa fees, and travel insurance shall be covered by participants
- 3 elective transfer credits from DUFE
- International Core or Honors designation may be available through additional coursework after the trip
- Chinese course required
- Priority given to students who have completed CHI 101 or 102
- 2-week pre-trip intensive Chinese course required for students who have not completed CHI 101 or 102 (non-credit, $150 registration)
Please note: Participants will be required to obtain a Chinese visa for this trip. Chinese visas require a US Passport that has at least 6 months of validity from the date of entry into China (July 8, 2019). If you need to apply for or renew your passport, please plan to receive it by the beginning of March, 2019, to allow for visa application and processing.
Applications for the 2019 trip are now closed. Please check back in the fall for our 2020 trip.