Transfer and the USM Core
Questions? Contact Transfer Affairs at 780-5098.
USM is committed to the success of our large and diverse transfer population by awarding credit for students’ prior learning while helping them successfully make the transition to USM’s upper level Core requirements.
Effective Spring 2015: new USM Core and Lewiston Common CoreTransfer Policy for the Associate of Arts Degree
With the exception of the capstone, and any other particular USM Core or LCC courses specifically required by the student's major, USM Core and LCC requirements are waived for students with a completed Associate of Arts degree in Liberal Studies/Liberal Arts from a regionally accredited community or other college. This policy does not apply to any other associate degrees. This policy is effective spring 2015 and is not retroactive.
Important update regarding Thematic Clusters
USM is conducting a comprehensive review of the Thematic Cluster Requirement. To insure maximum flexibility for students during this review period, students now have 3 options for satisfying the Cluster requirement.
1. Traditional Cluster option: complete 3 courses from 2 subject areas in an approved cluster. One course may be from the same subject area (prefix) as the student's major.
2. Minor or second major: complete any minor or second major in lieu of a thematic cluster.
3. Upper-level electives: complete any 3 courses outside the major at the 200-level or above; courses may not have the same prefix as the student's major. Courses which satisfy the lower division requirements of EYE, CW, CE, CE, QR, SE, SCI are excluded. (General elective and other transfer credits at the 200-level or above will apply to this option.) See the Thematic Cluster quick link to the right for complete information.
Transfer Credit and EYE
Students transferring 24 or more credit hours are exempted from completing the Entry Year Experience requirement.
Transfer and Ethical Inquiry, Social Responsibility, and Citizenship
Ethical Inquiry, Social Responsibility, and Citizenship courses must be at the 200 level or above. You may submit a course syllabus or description for review by contacting our Office of Transfer Affairs at 207) 780-5340 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Transfer and Thematic Clusters
Thematic Cluster courses are at the intermediate to advanced level (normally 200-level and above). Where exact course equivalents have been established, transfer courses will apply to the cluster. Other courses with appropriate thematic focus are applied to the clusters as COR 2XX. If you think you took an equivalent course at another institution, contact the Office of Transfer Affairs at 207) 780-5340 or email@example.com.
Transfer equivalents from Maine Community Colleges
Maine Community Colleges offer a wide variety of courses which satisfy USM Core requirements.Once each semester equivalencies from three of our Community College partners will be provided in PDF form here. These lists are only updated once a semester, and may not include the most recent transfer equivalents.
Finding Transfer Equivalent Courses
Your Transfer Credit Evaluation in Maine Street shows the most up-to-date information on how your prior course work transfers to satisfy Core requirements.
If you are planning to transfer credit to USM, the most up-to-date information on transferring credits to USM is available on Maine Street in the Transfer Course Equivalencies list. To use this list:
1. click on the Transfer Course Equivalencies button under quick links.
2. click on Transfer courses or test credit to the Univ. of Maine System.
3. Select USM from the menu.
4. Click on the letter that corresponds to the first letter of the institution from which you are transferring credit (e.g., "S" for Southern Maine Community College).
5. Find the transfer-from institution on the list and click on it. A list will come up with courses and their transfer equivalence to USM courses and requirements. Core equivalents are listed in the far right column. If you click on the heading of this column the courses listed will sort by Core requirement.
These instructions are also available, with images, here.
If you need more information about how your credits will transfer to meet USM's Core, contact USM's Office of Transfer Admission at (207) 780-5340 or firstname.lastname@example.org.