Basic Video Production Skills for Creating Online Content
USM Learning Designer Pieter Tryzelaar, one of CTEL’s newest members, starts off the CTEL Emerging Learning Technologies Workshop Series with a workshop on creating video content for blended and online courses.
Video can be a powerful digital tool for an online instructor. It can also be one of the most intimidating. These days, creating video has never been easier. Pieter comes with extensive video production experience and will walk you through the basics and help you get started.
This workshop is focused on basic video production skills and will cover how to create simple screencasts, webcam videos, and narrated PowerPoint videos, as well as how to put finished videos online and how to embed them within Blackboard.
Agenda for the Workshop
Introduction (approx. 5 minutes):
- Equipment needs
- Best practices
Screencasting, Webcam Videos and Uploading to Youtube: (approx. 30 minutes):
- Activating Youtube account
- Webcam recording using Youtube
- Uploading Videos to Youtube
Creating Narrated PowerPoints (approx. 15 minutes):
- Recording Audio on Individual PPT Slides
- Automating Audio Playback and Slide Transitions
- Exporting PPT as a Video (.WMV)
Blackboard Integration (approx. 10 minutes):
- Linking to Videos in Blackboard
- Embedding Videos in Blackboard
Optional Work Session (approx.1 hour):
- For those who are able to stay, we encourage you to stay and practice using the skills covered. We will have extra support on-hand to work with you as you explore these tools.