Dr. Huston has more than 20 years of experience in applied public health epidemiology and surveillance working in state health departments. Chronic disease epidemiology and surveillance are her specific areas of expertise. Dr. Huston began her career in applied epidemiology as a U.S. CDC Epidemic Intelligence Service Officer assigned to the North Carolina Division of Public Health from 1995 to 1997. During the next 13 years, she served as the Cardiovascular Epidemiologist for the N.C. Division of Public Health and on the faculty of the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill Gillings School of Global Public Health. Dr. Huston joined the faculty at the University of Southern Maine in 2010 and, through a contract with the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention (Maine CDC), she serves as the Lead Chronic Disease Epidemiologist for the Maine CDC, co-leading a team of epidemiologists who work in programs covering asthma, cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, physical activity, nutrition, obesity, and tobacco. She currently serves on the Editorial Board of the journal Preventing Chronic Disease and is active in the Chronic Disease, Maternal & Child Health, and Oral Health Committee of the Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists.
Areas of Expertise
Areas of expertise include chronic disease epidemiology and applied public health surveillance. Research interests include public health surveillance; health disparities; policy and environmental influences on physical activity and nutrition; chronic disease epidemiology, particularly stroke, cancer, and asthma; complex sample surveys; spatial analysis and GIS; best practices for dissemination of data for public health action.
Please review Sara Huston's publications on Digital Commons.
- Hampshire College, BA, Biology/Anthropology 1988
- University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health, PhD, Epidemiology, 1993
- Editorial Board Member, Preventing Chronic Disease
- Committee Member, Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists Chronic
- Disease/MCH/Oral HealthCommittee
- Member, Maine Tracking Network Advisory Group
- Member, Maine Integrated Youth Health Survey Steering Committee
- Member, Maine Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System Steering Committee