Thank you for checking out the Disability Services Center at USM. We are so pleased you are considering making USM your University. USM offers a strong and vibrant learning and living community providing students the opportunity to explore and a place to thrive. The Disability Services Center (DSC) is here to make certain that you have equal opportunity to access all that our University has to offer.
The DSC serves approximately 500 students and provides a variety of services. We offer a place for all students to use between their classes to study, do their homework, eat their lunch, or quiz one another with our in-house trivial pursuit collection. We strive to create a comfortable and welcoming environment for students.
Applying to USM
Students who wish to apply to USM should visit the Admissions website to learn more about the wide array of academic programs USM offers. Please do not submit disability documentation with your application, as requests for accommodation are made after admission decisions.
To learn more about how students connect with the DSC and disability accommodations in college, please visit the following links.
- How to Register with DSC
- Transition Tips - More Tips (University of Washington)
- Increasing Access and Success in the STEM Disciplines: A Model for Supporting the Transition of High School Students with Disabilities into STEM-Related Postsecondary Education
- Students with Disabilities Preparing for Postsecondary Education: Know Your Rights and Responsibilities
- An Overview of IDEA and Section 504
- AHEAD.org - Disability Services in Higher Education
- The Fully Accessible Guide to Paying for College for Students with Disabilities
Accommodations on Prior Learning Assessment Exams
The USM PLA Office is committed to helping students with documented disabilities gain equitable access to PLA exams. Students seeking accommodations on PLA exams should first contact Rusty Dolleman, Director of Prior Learning Assessment, at 207-780-5909 or email@example.com. Students will be asked to provide documentation of any disability for assessment by USM Disability Services Center staff and, in many cases, the relevant testing company before any accommodations can be granted.
Accommodations requests should be submitted as early as possible. As testing companies vary in their approach to granting accommodations, the USM PLA Office cannot guarantee that any particular accommodations request will be approved.