PLEASE NOTE: The Maine Department of Education has a new online system for teacher certification.
1. Complete all teacher education program/pathway requirements, including the following:
- Passing Praxis Core scores
- Praxis II content test(s) taken
- Prerequisite coursework is satisfied
- Grades are finalized on MaineStreet
- Standards Review is completed + documented in Tk20
2. Signal program completion:
- Complete the Recommendation for Certification, a Google form checklist that signals that you have fulfilled all program requirements and are ready to be recommended for initial teacher certification.
- Linda Evans, Certification Director, will review and verify all information and post the date of your recommendation for certification in Tk20.
- The Certification Director will then forward your name/certification area(s) to the Maine Department of Education (MDOE) and recommend you for initial teacher certification in your content area(s).
- At the same time, the USM Registrar’s Office will also receive this notification and post a comment to your transcript noting program completion. Please note that this may take approximately 3 weeks. Please check MaineStreet to ensure that the comment has been added to your unofficial transcript.
- You will receive an email when this step is complete.
3. Complete an Application for Initial Certification from the MDOE:
- Do not complete this step until you have received confirmation that step 2 is complete from Linda Evans, Certification Director
- You will receive an email with clear next steps when you have been recommended for certification by USM
- If you file your application without this final official transcript, the MDOE will not know that you are a program graduate and will analyze your materials as if you were initiating the alternative certification process. This could cause a delay in processing your application. Please be aware that USM’s recommendation for certification helps expedite certain steps in evaluating your application.
- Note that there is a $100 application fee due to the State of Maine with your application
- More information and FAQs are available on the Maine Department of Education certification site
For more information please contact:
Linda Evans, Certification Director
Office of Educator Preparation, USM
8C Bailey Hall, Gorham, Maine 04038