Fingerprinting and Criminal History Record Check (CHRC) Approval
Anyone who works with children in a school setting is required by law to be fingerprinted at a Maine Department of Education (DOE) approved fingerprint site. Students must have a Criminal History Records Check (CHRC) approval based on the fingerprint results.
All students are required to be fingerprinted prior to enrolling in a course with an accompanying field experience and/or internship placement.
Fingerprinting and the Criminal History Record Check (CHRC) is a two-part process:
Step 1 – Fill out & submit an Initial Educational Approval Application from the Maine Department of Education website
Step 2 – Have fingerprints taken
- Both parts are required before a student can begin a field experience and/or internship
- Fingerprints must be taken at a Maine approved fingerprint site
Follow the instructions on the Maine Department of Education website, which are summarized in the steps outlined below: https://www.maine.gov/doe/cert/fingerprinting
1. Complete the application for Initial Educational Approval and provide an explanation to questions to which you answered "yes."
- If you answered, "yes" to Question 1:
- For each conviction, attach a brief explanation stating when and what the conviction was. If further information is requested, you will need to provide attested copies of the Judgment and Commitment papers (including probation conditions). These documents may be obtained from the Clerk of Courts where you were convicted. This includes OUI and negotiating a worthless instrument.
- If you answered yes to question 2 and/or 3:
- Attach an explanation for each situation
- If you answered, "yes" on a previous application and there have been no additional convictions:
- Submit a statement that there have been no new convictions since the previous "yes" was submitted
2. Send the application and $15 non-refundable fee* to the following:
Maine Department of Education
Division of Certification
State House Station #23
Augusta, ME 04333
*Include credit card information on the application or make a check payable to: Treasurer, State of Maine
3. Register for fingerprinting online with the Maine Department of Public Safety. If you do not register, you will not be able to have your fingerprints taken. There is a one-time $55 fee for this process.
- From agency list, choose Department of Education
- For applicant type, choose New Hire / initial applicants
- Read the terms and "agree" to choose a fingerprinting location and appointment
- Take your confirmation number (received after registration) and a picture ID (a driver's license or Maine State ID is preferred) to the fingerprint site on the assigned date and time
Provide Proof of CHRC Approval
From your fingerprints, state and federal criminal history record checks will be conducted. The results of the state and federal criminal history record checks will be forwarded to the Maine DOE to be used for the issuance or denial of approvals. If you are not approved, you will receive notification in writing.
- Check the DOE's online NEO system for the status of your approval.
- If and when you are approved, you will be able to view and print your approval information from the NEO system website
- Take a screenshot (or Print --> save as PDF) of the NEO application status screen for proof of credentials
Complete the form at the following link to submit proof of approval: https://forms.gle/V7bZqdu66a3VDr827