USM’s Office of Educator Preparation is responsible for securing internship placements. Interns are placed in partner school districts across the southern Maine region including Gorham, Lewiston, Portland, RSU #14, South Portland, Westbrook, MSAD #6, Wells, York, and Baxter Academy. Placements are made according to geographic location of the intern, content area, and availability of mentor teachers in partner schools. Based upon these factors, Linda Evans, Field Placement Director, works closely with school personnel and university faculty to coordinate placements for interns. Click here for more information about our school partnerships.
The process will be as follows:
- Prior to their first semester of internship, interns complete and submit an Entry Application in TK20.
- Interns upload a resume and fingerprint card (CHRC)* to TK20, as these are necessary to initiate outreach to partnership schools and districts. Placement requests will not be made without both items.
- *Note: The Maine DOE is no longer issuing CHRC cards. See this document (PDF) for examples of screenshots you can take from the DOE website to upload to Tk20 once you are approved
- The Field Placement Director will outreach to partner schools/ districts to request internship placements. The majority of fall placements will be arranged by the end of June. Spring placements will be arranged starting in November of each calendar year.
- Once the internship placement has been arranged, the Field Placement Director will send the intern an email that includes: school name, mentor teacher name and email, grade level/ content. The faculty coordinator will be copied on this email. The intern should confirm receipt of this email and proceed by making email contact with the mentor teacher to arrange for a time to meet.
- Following the initial meeting with the mentor, the intern should update the Field Placement Director. This update serves as final confirmation of the internship placement.
All interns are required to complete school district forms. See the link below for more information.
If interns have any questions related to their internship placement, they should be in contact with the Field Placement Director. Her contact information is as follows:
Linda Evans, Field Placement Director
Office of Educator Preparation
8C Bailey Hall, Gorham Campus