Notice to all education students: Internships and field placements will be part of the learning experience for eligible students in educator preparation programs and courses in fall 2020. These experiences will be offered in formats informed by public health guidance and effective instructional practices, and may differ by program, course, or site. More specific information about internships will be provided by each individual educator preparation program after June 15, if they have not already been in communication.
USM’s Office of Educator Preparation is responsible for securing internship/student teaching placements. Interns/student teachers are placed in partner school districts across the Southern Maine region. Placements are made according to geographic location of the intern, content area, and availability of mentor teachers in partner schools. Based upon these factors, Linda Evans, Field Placement Director, works closely with school personnel and university faculty to coordinate placements for interns. Prospective interns will have the opportunity to share their placement preferences in a one-on-one session with Linda Evans on the day of your interview. Placements in a particular district cannot be guaranteed.
The process will be as follows:
- Prior to their first semester of internship/student teaching, students complete and submit an Entry Application in Tk20.
- Interns submit proof of Criminal History Record Check / Fingerprinting (CHRC) as this is necessary to initiate outreach to partnership schools and districts. Intern resumes will also be used in the outreach process (available through the intern's program/candidacy application).
- *Note: The Maine DOE no longer issues CHRC cards. See the Fingerprinting and CHRC Process page for more information.
- The Field Placement Director will outreach to partner schools/ districts to request internship placements. The majority of fall placements will be arranged by the end of June. Spring placements will be arranged starting in November of each calendar year.
- Once the internship placement has been arranged, the Field Placement Director will send the intern an email that includes: school name, mentor teacher name and email, grade level/ content. The faculty coordinator will be copied on this email. The intern should confirm receipt of this email and proceed by making email contact with the mentor teacher to arrange for a time to meet.
- Following the initial meeting with the mentor, the intern should update the Field Placement Director. This update serves as final confirmation of the internship placement.
All interns are required to complete school district forms. See the link below for more information.
Internship Resources (including handbook and other materials)
If interns have any questions related to their internship/student teaching placement, they should be in contact with the Field Placement Director. Her contact information is as follows:
Linda Evans, Field Placement Director
Office of Educator Preparation
8C Bailey Hall, Gorham Campus