The mission of the University of Southern Maine’s Athletic Training Program is to deliver a comprehensive learning experience that will prepare students to excel as entry-level athletic trainers and productive professionals. The Athletic Training Program integrates a competency based educational model that emphasizes professionalism, community involvement, knowledge and skill acquisition, and workforce preparation. The program achieves this through a variety of teaching methods including high fidelity simulation, hands-on laboratory experiences, interprofessional activities, online and blended learning modalities. We assess student and program outcomes to track and inform programmatic change.
Program Goals and Objectives
- Students will be prepared for certification and transition into professional practice upon graduation.
- All students successfully completing the program will be prepared for the BOC exam.
- Students will be gainfully employed or enrolled in an advanced academic program in athletic training or related field.
- Students will be prepared to integrate clinical reasoning and reflection into practice.
- Students and faculty will be active and contributing members of their communities.
- Students and faculty will engage with the medical, athletic training and local communities.
- Students and faculty will contribute to their communities through impactful service and quality scholarship.
- The program will provide high quality athletic training education.
- Contemporary didactic and laboratory education will be delivered by qualified faculty.
- Clinical education will include diverse settings and experiences, supervised by trained preceptors with a variety of expertise.
- The program will include interprofessional practice and education that will focus on collaboration and improving health outcomes.
- The program will cultivate professional behaviors, ethical practice and a culture of inquiry.
- The program will teach students skills and foundational behaviors to successfully transition to practice.
- Students will exemplify life-long learning by engaging in ongoing education.
- Students will demonstrate ethical behavior
- Students will provide quality care to all patients
- The program will integrate diversity, equity and inclusion throughout the curriculum