Department of English
Minor in Creative Writing
The English Department offers a minor in creative writing for both English majors and non-majors. The minor consists of tracks in poetry, fiction, and non-fiction. The goal of the creative writing minor is to direct student attention to writing offerings while recommending a productive sequence of writing courses and collateral craft-oriented textual studies courses.
The minimum number of credits (exclusive of the University's Core curriculum) required for the creative writing minor: 19.
Students enter the creative writing minor by meeting with the Department Chair. Candidates must be eligible for pre-registration and/or admission to upper-level workshops and should have completed six hours of 200- or 300-level writing classes.
No more than six credits from the minor in Creative Writing can be used to fulfill the requirements for the English major.
The following are specific requirements beyond College Writing and ENG 140 or waivers:
- ENG 201 Creative Writing (3 credit hours)
- One of the following: ENG 244, 245, 262, 263 or 264 (3 credit hours)
- One of the following courses (3 credit hours)
(Note: These courses are required for admission to writing workshops.)
- ENG 202 Memoir and Autobiography
- ENG 300 Fiction Writing
- ENG 301 Poetry Writing
- Workshops (6 credit hours)*
- ENG 302 Fiction Workshop
- ENG 303 Poetry Workshop
- ENG 304 Advanced Memoir
- ENG 306 Writing the Novel
* Workshops may be repeated for credit.
- Elective courses (3 credit hours)
- Courses selected from English Department offerings must be 300- or 400-level.
- ENG 401 Writing Minor Thesis (1 credit hour)
The minor requires a thesis comparable to an M.F.A. application portfolio. Before enrolling in Writing Minor Thesis (ENG 401), students must get permission from a thesis advisor with whom they wish to work. During the course, students will produce ten to fifteen poems or twenty-five to fifty pages of fiction or nonfiction. The thesis may be completed in the second upper-level workshop.
Further information about the creative writing minor is available from the English Department.