Department of English


Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Where is Radboud Universiteit?
Radboud Universiteit is located in the city of Nijmegen in The Netherlands. As the oldest town in the Netherlands, Nijmegen has a special charm. It boasts a dynamic city center, with ten museums, dozens of art galleries, a concert hall, a theatre, and cinemas. The number of pubs, pavement cafes and restaurants is striking. Nestled in the midst of beautiful countryside in the east central part of the country, Nijmegen is an ideal base from which to explore the bustling Dutch cities to the west, and the large cities of Germany to the east. Road and railway links to all of them are excellent: Amsterdam, Rotterdam, the Hague, Cologne and Düsseldorf can all be reached within 1 ½ hours.

Without a doubt, the university's showpiece is its green campus, generally regarded as the most attractive one in the Netherlands. With a student population of approximately 16,000 Radboud also provide excellent facilities to support education and research. The university also provides many opportunities for cultural education and sports training, with about 25 student sporting clubs accommodated in the University Sports Center. The Stadium Generale (General Studies Office) organizes general educational programmes for students, staff, and interested outsiders. Symposiums, workshops and lectures are organized, as well as exhibitions, plays and concerts.

What can I study?
The exchange between the University of Southern Maine and Radboud Universiteit is for ENGLISH majors ONLY.

Where can I find Information on Courses?
Current course offerings & course descriptions for Radboud can be found on-line. The course offerings are separated by Fall and Spring, as well as those that are offered during both semesters. Students should be careful to only select courses from the English Language & Culture offerings.

Students should work with Professor Kathleen Ashley in the USM English Department to select appropriate courses abroad and establish their USM equivalents. Students can call Professor Ashley at 780-4295 to make an appointment or send her an e-mail at

Do I need to know Dutch?
No. Radboud Universiteit offers free "Social Dutch" courses to all exchange students. Students will not receive credit for these courses, but are strongly encouraged to participate in them.

When can I study at Radboud?
Semester 1 (Fall) runs from approximately early September though late December.
Semester 2 (Spring) runs from approximately late January through early July.

Where will I live?
There are three types of housing available to students who study abroad at Radboud Universiteit. Students cannot select one type of housing over the other. They are placed according to the availability of space. Students studying at Nijmegen will complete an application for housing and receive a confirmation of their housing assignment prior to departure. Listed below are the three options which are currently available:

The first type of housing is in Residence Halls. These halls are occupied by students only. While they do belong to the University, they are not located on campus like many American Universities. These halls are located throughout the city, but all are close to bus lines which run back and forth from the campus. They are typical of European Residence Halls in which the student has his or her own room, but would share a kitchen and bathroom with the other students on that particular floor.

The second type of housing is in a "student house." These do not belong to the University. They are rooms from Dutch students who are studying abroad at the time. Usually they are in or near the city center. It is a house where only students live. Each student has his or her own room and they share a bathroom and a kitchen. Usually four to six people live in one house.

The third type of housing is similar to the American system of "renting a room." Typically the landlord has his or her private quarters on the ground-floor, while two or more students live upstairs in their own private rooms.

Radboud University does not have a meal plan. However, every house or hall has cooking facilities which are shared with the other students. There is a cafeteria on-campus where the food is good and cheap, so this is a possibility when students do not have time to cook.

How Much Will it Cost?
Student attending Radboud University in the Fall OR Spring pay USM in-state tuition for 15 credits and academic fees. Students pay for all other costs locally. The Radboud budget provides an estimate of what a student can expect to spend on housing and meals for one semester.

Copies of both Fall and Spring budgets are available on-line.

Do I need a Visa?
Yes. American citizens who intend to stay in the Netherlands for a period longer than three months (90 days) should apply for a temporary residence permit (so called 'VTV') within 3 days after arrival in the Netherlands at the local Alien Police of the municipality in which he or she will be staying. The cost for a VTV is approximately $530 US dollars. Before departing the US, students should read the instructions on applying for this permit carefully as they will need to present very specific information at the time of their application including the ability to pay for their stay in The Netherlands, proof of health insurance and a LEGALIZED Birth Certificate. For more information on the process and what other documents you will need visit The Netherlands, Washington DC Embassy page.

Can I Work?
Most likely, No. Working in The Netherlands requires a specific work permit that must be applied for by the employer who has to be able to prove that he/she could not find a qualified Dutch citizen to fill the job. Students should not plan on being able to earn any income from on or off campus work during their stay in The Netherlands.