The Maine Engineering Pathways Program allows you to begin your first year of study toward an undergraduate engineering degree at a participating University of Maine System campus, and then transfer to complete your engineering degree at the University of Southern Maine (USM) or the University of Maine (UMaine).
This pathway option is offered in addition to the traditional engineering degree programs offered at USM and UMaine.
Career Opportunities in Engineering
- The number of engineering jobs in Maine has grown 25% in the last decade.
- The demand for engineering graduates is high, with over 1,400 job postings in Maine in 2018, and with an additional 2,000 retirements anticipated over the next decade.
- The majority of engineering seniors receive job offers well before graduation, with an average annual starting salary of more than $60,000.
Complete Your Degree in Four Years
The Maine Engineering Pathways Program is a 1 + 3 program. “1 + 3” refers to the number of years you’ll spend studying on each campus. You’ll spend your first year studying at one of the participating campuses and spend the next three years completing your degree at USM or UMaine.
Through successful completion of the requirements in the pathway program, you will graduate in four years.
- University of Maine at Augusta (including University College Centers)
- University of Maine at Farmington
- University of Maine at Machias
- University of Maine at Presque Isle
Who is the Maine Engineering Pathway Program program for?
- Students who want to start their engineering education at a campus close to home.
- Students who would benefit from further academic preparation in mathematics and science courses before attempting an engineering curriculum.
The pathway program offers you an opportunity to explore engineering as a career through an introductory first-year course. You’ll also build your expertise in foundational mathematics and science courses.
Engineering Degrees Offered at USM
The USM Engineering program is nationally accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET and offers the following degrees:
Transferring to USM
After completing your first year (or a minimum of 30 credits) at a participating campus, you’ll begin the transfer process.
Requirements to transfer:
- Complete a minimum of 30 credits at a participating campus.
- Earn a grade of C or higher in Calculus I & II, Chemistry I, and Physics for Engineers and Scientists I & II. Transfer of students who are missing one or more of these courses will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- The minimum overall GPA requirement to transfer to a USM engineering program is 2.0.
Learn more about the USM Transfer Process.
Sample Course Schedules
We’ve charted out a sample course schedule for your first year at a participating campus, in addition to your three years at USM. These course schedules are called Transfer Agreements or Articulation Agreements. You can browse the sample schedules by campus:
- University of Maine at Augusta Transfer Agreements
- University of Maine at Farmington Transfer Agreements
- University of Maine at Machias Transfer Agreements
- University of Maine at Presque Isle Transfer Agreements
How to Apply
To apply for the program, contact the Admissions Office at one of the participating campuses: University of Maine at Augusta, University of Maine at Farmington, University of Maine at Machias, University of Maine at Presque