Office Hours Spring 2016Mondays and Wednesdays 1:00 pm -2:00 pm or by appointment
- BSc (Mechanical Engineering) Sharif University of Technology, 1987
- MSc (Mechanical Engineering) Sharif University of Technology, 1989
- PhD (Mechanical Engineering) Sharif University of Technology, 1994
- MSc (Economic and Social Systems Engineering) Institute for Research in Planning and Development, 1998
- PhD (Mechanical Engineering) Carleton University, 2009
Dr. Ghorashi is a Professional Engineer (P.E.) and a member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME). He is also a certified Program Evaluator (PEV) for the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology (ABET) on behalf of the ASME. Program evaluators play a vital role on ABET accreditation teams, conducting visits to college and university campuses across the nation and internationally to evaluate programs seeking accreditation.
Dr. Ghorashi started his professional work in industry while he was a graduate student. He worked in the Indamine Shock Absorber Mfg. Co and the Mazda Company in Tehran for a total period of eight years. In these companies he served as the manager of the Quality Control Department and the manager of the R&D Department, respectively.
In 1995, after receiving his first PhD (on dynamics of structures under moving loads), Dr. Ghorashi joined the Mechanical Engineering Department of Sharif University of Technology as an assistant professor. In 2001, he was promoted to associate professor. During his sabbatical leave in 2002-2003, he worked with Professor Daniel J. Inman in Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University on the development of smart joints using shape memory alloys. In 2004, Dr. Ghorashi moved to Canada. At Carleton University in Ottawa, he taught a few courses for which he received the Best Professor Award from the Carleton Student Engineering Society. In 2006 he decided to earn a second PhD (this time on dynamics of nonlinear rotating composite beams with embedded actuators) and graduated in 2009. A book based on his thesis is under publication by Springer. In September 2009, Dr. Ghorashi joined the Department of Engineering in the University of Southern Maine (USM). At USM, he has been a member of the Research Council, the Faculty Senate and the Core Curriculum Committee.
During his career, he has worked on a variety of research topics including,
- Vibration Analysis and Control of Linear and Nonlinear Systems
- Application of Smart Materials (Shape Memory Alloys) as Actuators and Sensors
- Nonlinear Rigid Body Dynamics (with applications in ships and helicopter blades)
- Elasto-dynamic Analysis of Composite Helicopter Blades
- Structural Design using Variational Asymptotic and Finite Element Methods
- Stress Analysis and Limit State Analysis (for Plastic Design) of Structures
Beside his education and research on Mechanical Engineering, Dr. Ghorashi has also received an MSc in Economic and Social Systems Engineering from the Institute for Research in Planning and Development in Tehran. His main subject of research in this area has been Overlapping Generations Model and Micro-based Macro-economics.
- M. Ghorashi, 2016, Statics and Rotational Dynamics of Composite Beams, Springer.
- J. Finley and M. Ghorashi., 2013, “Effective use of an Undergraduate Research Fellowship for Design and Manufacture of Tools to Assist in Teaching Strength of Materials,” 120th ASEE Annual Conference, Atlanta, GA, June 23-26, 2013, Paper number: AC 2013-7136.
- M. Ghorashi, 2012, “Nonlinear Analysis of the Dynamics of Articulated Composite Rotor Blades,” Nonlinear Dynamics, Vol. 67, pp. 227-249.
- N. Randall and M. Ghorashi, 2012, “Design, Manufacture, Simulation and Experimentation of Several Tools to Assist in Teaching Strength of Materials and Statics Courses,” 119th ASEE Annual Conference, San Antonio, TX, June 10-13, 2012, Paper number: AC 2012-2971.
- M. Ghorashi, 2011,“Theoretical and Numerical Calculation of the Load Carrying Capacity of Circular Plates,“ ASME Applied Mechanics and Materials Conference, Chicago, IL, May 30-June 1, 2011, Technical Presentation McMat 2011-4545.
- M. Ghorashi, 2010, “Nonlinear Rigid Body Dynamics of Accelerating Articulated Rotor Blades,” 13th Conference on Nonlinear Vibrations, Dynamics and Multi-body Dynamics, Blacksburg, VA, May 23-26, 2010.
- M. Ghorashi and F. Nitzsche, 2009, “Nonlinear Dynamic Response of an Accelerating Composite Rotor Blade using Perturbations,” Journal of Mechanics of Materials and Structures, Vol. 4, pp. 693-718.