Mehrdaad Ghorashi, P.E.
- BSc (Mechanical Engineering) Sharif University of Technology, 1987
- MSc (Mechanical Engineering) Sharif University of Technology, 1989
- PhD (Mechanical Engineering) Sharif University of Technology, 1994
- MSc (Economic and Social Systems Engineering) Institute for Research in Planning and Development, 1998
- PhD (Mechanical Engineering) Carleton University, 2009
Dr. Ghorashi was a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) in the Province of Ontario, Canada in 2005-2011. Currently, he is a Professional Engineer (P.E.) in the State of Maine, U.S. (since 2012). He served as a certified Program Evaluator (PEV) for the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology (ABET) on behalf of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) in his five year tenure term, 2014-2019.
Dr. Ghorashi started his professional career in industry while he was a graduate student. He worked in the Indamine Shock Absorber Mfg. Co. and the Iran Vanet (Mazda) Car Mfg. Co., in Tehran for a total period of eight years. In these companies, he served as the manager of the Quality Control Department and the manager of the Research and Development Department, respectively.
In 1995, after receiving his first Ph.D. (on dynamics of structures under moving loads), Dr. Ghorashi joined the Mechanical Engineering Department of Sharif University of Technology as an Assistant Professor. In 2001, he was promoted to the Associate Professor rank. During his sabbatical leave in 2002-2003, he worked with Professor Daniel J. Inman in Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University on the development of smart joints using shape memory alloys. After returning to Iran for a year, in 2004 Dr. Ghorashi moved to Canada. At Carleton University in Ottawa, he taught a few courses for which he received the Best Professor Award from the Carleton Student Engineering Society. In 2006, he decided to earn a second Ph.D. (this time on dynamics of nonlinear rotating composite beams with embedded actuators) and graduated in 2009. He then published a book, mainly based on his thesis, by Springer in 2016. In September 2009, Dr. Ghorashi joined the Department of Engineering in the University of Southern Maine (USM) as an Assistant Professor and in 2019 he was promoted to the rank of Professor of Mechanical Engineering. At USM, together with his research and teaching activities, he has been involved in service undertakings including membership of the Research Council, the Faculty Senate, and the Core Curriculum Committee. He is also the USM’s organizer of the MATHCOUNTS middle school mathematics competition, the Department’s ABET accreditation coordinator, and the USM’s representative in the Maine Engineering Promotional Council (MEPC) Board of Directors.
During his career, he has worked on a variety of research topics including,
- Vibration Analysis and Control of Linear and Nonlinear Systems
- Application of Smart Materials (Shape Memory Alloys) as Actuators and Sensors
- Nonlinear Rigid Body Dynamics (with applications in ships and helicopter blades)
- Elasto-dynamic Analysis of Composite Helicopter Blades
- Structural Design using Variational Asymptotic and Finite Element Methods
- Stress Analysis and Limit State Analysis (for Plastic Design) of Structures
Beside his education and research on Mechanical Engineering, Dr. Ghorashi has received an MSc in Economic and Social Systems Engineering from the Institute for Research in Planning and Development in Tehran. His main subject of research in this area has been Overlapping Generations Model and Micro-based Macro-economics.
Book: M. Ghorashi, 2016, Statics and Rotational Dynamics of Composite Beams, Springer.
- Ali Ghorashi and Mehrdaad Ghorashi, 2020, Theoretical and Computational Analysis of the Falling Ladder Problem, SN (Springer Nature) Computer Science, https://doi.org/10.1007/s42979-019-0019-7.
- M. Ghorashi, 2018, Nonlinear Static and Stability Analysis of Composite Beams by the Variational Asymptotic Method, International Journal of Engineering Science, Vol. 128, pp. 127-150.
- M. Ghorashi, 2018, Closed-Form Solutions for the Load-Carrying Capacity of Annular Plates, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol. 136, pp. 313-320.
- M. Davis, and M. Ghorashi, 2018, A Holistic Approach for Deciphering the Operation of Planetary Gear Train Systems, ASEE's Journal of Engineering Technology, Vol. 35, pp. 16-25.
- A. Rhazzali and M. Ghorashi, 2017, Limit Analysis of Circular Plates with Arbitrary Rotational Symmetric Loading Using Fourier Series Expansion, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol. 130, pp. 274-281.
- M. Davis, and M. Ghorashi, 2016, “A Hybrid Hands-on and Simulation Method for Teaching the Operation of Automatic Transmission Systems,” ASEE Northeastern Section Conference, Kingston, RI, April 28-30, 2016. Awarded Second Place in the Best Paper Award Competition