Mehrdaad Ghorashi, P.E.
- BSc (Mechanical Engineering) Sharif University of Technology, 1987
- MSc (Mechanical Engineering) Sharif University of Technology, 1989
- PhD (Mechanical Engineering) Sharif University of Technology, 1994
- MSc (Economic and Social Systems Engineering) Institute for Research in Planning and Development, 1998
- PhD (Mechanical Engineering) Carleton University, 2009
Dr. Ghorashi has been a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) in the Province of Ontario, Canada (in 2005-2011) and he is currently a Professional Engineer (P.E.) in the State of Maine, U.S. (since 2012). He has collaborated with the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) in various activities related to the Machine Design and Materials (MDM) P.E. exam. Dr. Ghorashi has served as a certified Program Evaluator (PEV) for the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology (ABET) on behalf of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) since 2014.
Dr. Ghorashi started his professional career in industry while he was a graduate student. He worked at the Indamine Shock Absorber Mfg. Co. and the Iran Vanet (Mazda) Car Mfg. Co., in Tehran for a total period of eight years. In these companies, he served as the manager of the Quality Control Department and the manager of the Research and Development Department, respectively.
In 1995, after earning his first Ph.D. (on dynamics of structures under moving loads), Dr. Ghorashi joined the Mechanical Engineering Department of Sharif University of Technology as an Assistant Professor and in 2001 he was promoted to the Associate Professor rank. During his sabbatical leave in 2002-2003, he worked with Professor Daniel J. Inman in Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University on the development of smart joints using shape memory alloys. After returning to Iran for a year, in 2004 Dr. Ghorashi moved to Canada. In 2006, at Carleton University in Ottawa, he was honored by receiving the Best Professor Award from the Carleton Student Engineering Society. In the same year, he enrolled for a second Ph.D. (this time on dynamics of nonlinear rotating composite beams with embedded actuators) and graduated in 2009. He then published a book, mainly based on this endeavor, by Springer in 2016.
Dr. Ghorashi joined the Department of Engineering at USM as its first full-time mechanical engineering faculty member in 2009. There, together with his research and teaching activities, he has been involved in service undertakings including membership of the Research Council, the Faculty Senate Executive Committee, and the Core Curriculum Committee.
During his career, he has worked on a variety of research topics including the following,
1. Vibration Analysis and Control of Linear and Nonlinear Systems
2. Application of Smart Materials (Shape Memory Alloys) as Actuators and Sensors
3. Nonlinear Rigid Body Dynamics (with applications in ships and helicopter blades)
4. Elasto-dynamic Analysis of Composite Helicopter Blades
5. Structural Design using Variational Asymptotic and Finite Element Methods
6. Stress Analysis and Limit State Analysis (for Plastic Design) of Structures
Dr. Ghorashi has received the following SolidWorks certifications: CSWA, CSWA-S, and CSWP-S from Dassault Systèmes. He also has a Dimensioning and Tolerancing Certificate from the ASME.
Besides his education and research in Mechanical Engineering, Dr. Ghorashi has earned an MSc in Economic and Social Systems Engineering from the Institute for Research in Planning and Development in Tehran. His main subject of research in this area has been Overlapping Generations Model and Micro-based Macro-economics.
Book: M. Ghorashi, 2016, Statics and Rotational Dynamics of Composite Beams, Springer.
- Mehrdaad Ghorashi, 2022, New insights on the Falling Ladder Problem, Meccanica (Springer Nature), https://rdcu.be/cR0W5
- Ali Ghorashi and Mehrdaad Ghorashi, 2020, Theoretical and Computational Analysis of the Falling Ladder Problem, SN (Springer Nature) Computer Science, https://doi.org/10.1007/s42979-019-0019-7.
- M. Ghorashi, 2018, Nonlinear Static and Stability Analysis of Composite Beams by the Variational Asymptotic Method, International Journal of Engineering Science, Vol. 128, pp. 127-150.
- M. Ghorashi, 2018, Closed-Form Solutions for the Load-Carrying Capacity of Annular Plates, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol. 136, pp. 313-320.
- M. Davis, and M. Ghorashi, 2018, A Holistic Approach for Deciphering the Operation of Planetary Gear Train Systems, ASEE's Journal of Engineering Technology, Vol. 35, pp. 16-25.
- A. Rhazzali and M. Ghorashi, 2017, Limit Analysis of Circular Plates with Arbitrary Rotational Symmetric Loading Using Fourier Series Expansion, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol. 130, pp. 274-281.
- M. Davis, and M. Ghorashi, 2016, “A Hybrid Hands-on and Simulation Method for Teaching the Operation of Automatic Transmission Systems,” ASEE Northeastern Section Conference, Kingston, RI, April 28-30, 2016. Awarded Second Place in the Best Paper Award Competition