- B.S. Electrical Engineering, M.E.T.U., Ankara, Turkey, 1968
- M.S. Electrical Engineering, M.E.T.U., Ankara, Turkey, 1970
- M.S. Electrical Engineering, Applied Physics, Case Western Reserve University, 1975
- Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, Applied Physics, Case Western Reserve University, 1975
Professor Guvench received his B.S. and M.S. degrees in Electrical Engineering from M.E.T.U., Ankara in 1968 and 1970, respectively. He did further graduate work at Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio between 1970 and 1975 and received M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Electrical Engineering and Applied Physics. He is currently a Full Professor of Electrical Engineering at the University of Southern Maine. Prior to joining U.S.M. he served on the faculties of M.E.T.U., Ankara and Gaziantep campuses in Turkey (1975-1980) and at the University of Pittsburgh (1980-1989). He served as Electrical Engineering Department chair at M.E.T.U. Gaziantep (1979-80) and at USM (1998-99). He also served as chairman (and vice-chair) of IEEE Electron Devices Society, Maine Chapter (1998-2001).
Professor Guvench's teaching and research interests and publications span the field of microelectronics including analog CMOS and bipolar integrated circuit design, semiconductor device technology and its application in biomedical and sensor development, finite element and analytical modeling of semiconductor devices and sensors, electronic instrumentation and measurement, and Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS).
Professor Guvench received R&D funding and awards from various government agencies and private companies including the National Science Foundation, NIH, MSGC, SAPPI Paper, NASA, General Motors, National Semiconductor, NATO, University of Pittsburgh and USM.
Professor Guvench is a Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE), and the International Microelectronics Assembly and Packaging Society (iMAPS) and American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE).
Professor Guvench's recent research interests are focused on:
- MEMS (Micro-Electro-Mechanical-Systems), their design for Sensor applications,
- Coupled MEMS Resonators and their COMSOL modeling, and
- Printed and Flexible Electronics for photovoltaics and wearable sensor applications.
Recent Patent Application:
Title of Invention: “Photovoltaic textiles”
Inventors: D.G. Parent and M.G. Guvench
Publication number: US20140338721 A1
- Guvench, M.G., and Ye, Mao, “Automated Measurement of Power MOSFET Device Characteristics Using USB Interfaced Power Supplies," Proc. of A.S.E.E. Conference, s.1659, vol.1, pp.879-884 PID#17355, 2016 https://www.asee.org/public/conferences/64/papers/17355/view
- Swanson, P.W., Wacker, K.M. and Guvench, M.G., “Concentrated Solar, Dual Axis-Tracking, Multi-junction GaAs Cell Photovoltaic System Design for Efficient Solar Energy Conversion," Proc.of A.S.E.E. Conf., PID#13952, Seattle, 2015. https://www.asee.org/public/conferences/56/papers/13952/view
- Guvench, M.G., and Ye, Mao, “LabView-Automated Frequency Response Testing of Analog Systems using Standard USB interfaced Test Instruments," Proc. of A.S.E.E. Conference, PID#13946, Seattle, 2015. https://www.asee.org/public/conferences/56/papers/13946/view
- Wiswell, R. and Guvench, M.G., “Modeling and Design of Materials Inkjet Printer LED Ultraviolet Curing Cartridges Using COMSOL Multiphysics for Printed Electronics Applications," COMSOL Conference, Boston, MA, 2013. Presentation: https://www.comsol.com/paper/download/181207/guvench_presentation.pdf
- Schell, M. and Guvench, M.G., “Development of a General Purpose XBee Series - 2 API - Mode Communication Library for LabVIEW“ presented at the American Society of Engineering Education Northeast Section Conference held at UMass Lowell in April 27th & 28th of 2012. Full paper appeared in the Proceedings of the conference. This paper received the BEST PAPER Award and $500 cash prize.
- Carlson, D. and Guvench, M.G., “Development of a Rotational Accelerator Test Platform to Enable Wireless Transmission of Data and Automated Speed of Rotation from MEMS Capacitive Acceleration Sensors“ presented at the American Society of Engineering Education Northeast Section Conference held at UMass Lowell in April 27th & 28th of 2012. Full paper appeared in the Proceedings of the conference. This paper was nominated for and received recognition as Finalist for the BEST PAPER Award.
- Guvench, M.G., ““MUMPs” Multi-User-MEMS-Processes as Teaching and Design Tools in MEMS Instruction," presented at ASEE’11 Conference, Vancouver, Canada. Full paper appeared in the Proceedings of A.S.E.E., 2011.
- Guvench, M.G., and Richardson, D., “Microwave Plasma Cleaner Design for Semiconductor Fabrication and Materials Processing Laboratory Use," presented at ASEE’11 Conference. Full paper appeared in the Proc. of A.S.E.E., Vancouver, Canada 2011. https://www.asee.org/public/conferences/1/papers/2416/view. This paper was recommended for BEST PAPER Award in the Division of Experimental and Lab-Oriented Studies (DELOS) of ASEE.
- Crosby, J.V. and Guvench, M.G., “Finite Element Modeling of Resonating MEMS Micro-Heater Structures for Design Verification and Optimization," paper presented at Applied Modeling and Simulation Conference held in Palma de Mallorca, Spain, Sept. 2009. Full paper appeared in the Proceedings of AMS-2009.
- Nelson, S. and Guvench, M.G., “COMSOL Multiphysics Modeling of Rotational Resonant MEMS Sensors with Electrothermal Drive," poster presented at Annual COMSOL Conference, Boston, MA, 2009. Extended abstract appeared in Proceedings of COMSOL Conference 2009, https://www.comsol.com/paper/download/44730/Nelson.pdf
- Crosby, J.V. and Guvench, M.G., “Experimentally Matched Finite Element Modeling of Thermally Actuated SOI MEMS Micro-Grippers Using COMSOL Multiphysics," presented at Annual COMSOL Conference, Boston, MA, 2009. Full paper appeared in Proc. of COMSOL Conference, https://www.comsol.com/paper/download/101075/Guvench.pdf
- Guvench, M.G., “MOSIS Fabricated CMOS Operational Amplifier Designs as Class Projects in an Analog I.C. Design Course," Proc. of A.S.E.E, AC 2009-2152, 2009. Available on line: https://peer.asee.org/5716
- Guvench, M.G., “Design and Fabrication of Impact (Acceleration) Sensors as Class Projects in a MEMS Course," Proc. A.S.E.E., paper no AC 2009-2191, 2009. Available on line: https://peer.asee.org/5735
- Ward, J., MacKinnon, R., and Guvench, M.G., “A Computer Controlled Test System for Micro-Electro-Mechanical-Resonator (MEMS Resonator) Gas Sensors," Proc. of A.S.E.E., AC-1533, 2008. https://peer.asee.org/3917
- Guvench, M.G., “Optoelectronic Device and Fiber Link Characterization in Computer Integrated Electronics Laboratory," Proc. of A.S.E.E., AC-106, 2007. Available on line: https://peer.asee.org/1521