Kappa Alpha Omicron - Honor Society in Interdisciplinary Environmental Science/Study
Kappa Alpha Omicron (KAO) is the international student honor society in Interdisciplinary Environmental Science/Study chartered under the Interdisciplinary Environmental Association. USM is the zeta chapter approved in 2012.
- KAO is designed to offer students working on interdisciplinary environmental issues a hub for networking across disciplines and countries and much-needed recognition for the outstanding interdisciplinary work being performed in this rapidly expanding and much needed academic discipline.
- Formal invitation to join KAO comes from ESP faculty and is based on academic achievement (as determined by GPA) and citizenship. It is open to all ESP majors and any student pursuing a minor offered by ESP. For additional information, consult the chapter's bylaws.
- During the annual induction ceremony, members receive KAO pin, candle, and honor cord for graduation.
- The election of new officers occurs in September followed by the annual induction ceremony in October (view a program from the most recent induction ceremony). KAO also sponsors a speakers series with recognized leaders speaking on contemporary environmental issues and an Earth Day service project.
- The 2017 - 2018 KAO officers are:
Lauren McNamara - President
(Vice President/President Elect and Secretary elected in September)