How to Apply
Individuals interested in attending the Intensive English Program must have completed secondary school and be able to provide proof of sufficient funds to support their study.
In order to apply, it is necessary to send the following materials:
- (2) An official bank statement indicating sufficient funds to cover program costs and living expenses
- (3) A signed letter, in English, from the owner of the bank account (if a relative and not the applicant himself/herself) indicating agreement to support the student for tuition, fees, and living expenses while participating in our program ("affidavit of support")
- (4) Scanned copy of passport biographical page and photo
- (5) Proof of previous English study (school certificate, transcript, etc. For students transferring from another US program, a transcript or reference letter from a previous program administrator is required)
- (6) Nonrefundable application fee of $40 (US) and a nonrefundable tuition deposit of $150 (US) made payable to the University of Southern Maine (total of $190 US) (Check or money order. To wire transfer funds, please contact us)
Required Application Materials:
- Completed and signed application form
- Non-refundable application fee of $40
- Tuition deposit of $150 (non-refundable)
- Financial statement in US $ (in English) and letter of sponsorship (if statement is under different name)
- Letter of support for room and board (if not staying in USM dormitory)
- Copy of biographical page of your passport
- Proof of English level:
1) an email with a letter of introduction giving background information, reason for wanting to study at USM and goals
2) a short (1 minute) video clip where the applicant discusses their home country, daily life, and hobbies.
Note: Final acceptance and I-20 form will not be issued until ALL application materials are received.
Make check for $190 U.S. dollars payable to the University of Southern Maine
Spring: October 30
Summer: May 1
Fall: May 30