Welcome to the University of Southern Maine's English Language (ESOL) Program!
ESOL Program Highlights:
- Safe and convenient living and learning environment, just 2 hours north of Boston
- High-quality instruction in academic English
- Small multicultural classes
- Intensive English Language Program (fall, spring, summer sessions)
- Access to campus facilities and events
- Planned social events and excursions
- Assistance with student visas for international students
- Student housing options available
- Supported degree program admissions options
- TOEFL and English Language Pronunciation courses available
- English language courses open to local residents
- Unique Admissions Pathway Program for degree-seeking undergraduates
Students participating in the ESOL program at USM represent over 30 countries and languages. Some take English language courses as prerequisites for future academic courses, while others want to improve their English language skills for work, other University study, or personal satisfaction.
The primary mission of the University of Southern Maine is to provide excellent higher education to talented and culturally diverse students. The exceptional faculty and student body, along with its three campus locations in Portland, Gorham and Lewiston-Auburn, give USM a healthy learning atmosphere and a stimulating, open and challenging environment. USM is unique in that it is the only public urban comprehensive university in the State of Maine.