Welcome to the Faculty Commons
The mission of the Faculty Commons is to offer comprehensive and innovative programing to promote and support faculty development, for all instructional staff, focusing on best practices in teaching and learning at USM. Faculty development thought the FC will foster a culture at USM that promotes student success, faculty accomplishment, and institutional excellence.
Statement of Philosophy
- Teaching develops over the lifespan of our careers
- Improve teaching throughout the university
- Faculty are life-long learners and are always striving to improve their teaching and increase their positive impact on students
- Learning happens within a discipline, by interacting with colleagues, connecting with experts and with our community.
- Cultivate a community among faculty
- Excellence in teaching
- Supportive of all faculty at various stages of their career
- Inclusiveness among all three campuses
- Professionalism and integrity
- Excitement to experiment with and implement innovative teaching and learning strategies
- Sustainability (fiscal, resource and staff)
The FC, in collaboration with other institutional units and programming, seek to achieve the following goals:
- Increase community among USM faculty,
- Provide organized and informational resources to faculty on important initiatives (advising, assessment, FYE, MU, etc) at USM,
- Further the growth of faculty during their careers,
- Develop leadership capacity across all levels of the university, and
- Support scholarship that expands on the creation or use of innovative teaching strategies.