Please submit cover letter, resume and references with the title of the position to email@example.com. Be sure to include the title of the position in the subject line.
Job Title: Development Officer
Reports To: Director of Development
FLSA Status: Exempt
Summary: This position will require working closely with the USM Foundation President, Director of Development, Director of Athletics, volunteers and staff to meet the goals of the Athletics phase of USM’s upcoming capital campaign. Participation in other fundraising projects may be assigned. Responsible for participating with a team of professionals by performing the following duties:
Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Increases philanthropic contributions to USM by identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding a portfolio of individual and private source major and planned gift donor prospects.*
- Plans and directs gift-related personal solicitation activities, and plans and directs the development and implementation of long range and immediate plans for individual gift solicitations within assigned portfolio.*
- Works closely with the director of development to analyze fundraising activities and results and develops immediate to long-range planning and execution of a broad-based major gifts fundraising program; works with the team to analyze current fundraising data to determine best prospecting, cultivation, and stewardship strategies.*
- Prepares individualized proposals and presentations for individuals and private foundations outlining the various priorities for gifts to the USM Foundation for the benefit of the University of Southern Maine.*
- Responsible for working with appropriate deans, faculty, students, and members of the USM Foundation staff to conceive and execute relationship building tactics, meetings, proposals, and solicitations.*
- Identifies and involves student representatives wherever possible and appropriate in the cultivation and stewardship of donor prospects.*
- Expands annual fund leadership gift support.*
- Exhibits sound organizational ability and a high degree of energy, creativity, and initiative.*
- Maintains the ability to travel and participate in early morning, evening, and weekend activities.*
- Responsible for working as a productive member of the USM Foundation team.
- Brings ideas to the table and reports on activities proactively.*
- Responds to a metrics-driven culture, thrives on a team, and is a results-driven professional.*
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, PowerPoint, word processing software, spreadsheet software, and database software.
Bachelor's degree (B. A. / B. S.) from four-year college or university; or four to six years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Major gift experience, grant writing, and foundation relations experience preferred.
Certificates and Licenses:
Valid driver's license
Knowledge, Skills and Other Abilities:
• Knowledge of the greater Portland/Southern Maine philanthropic community
• Excellent verbal, written communication, and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated abilities in organizing and planning
• Ability to work effectively under pressure
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and climb or balance. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.