The USM Foundation exists to be a catalyst for transformation at the University of Southern Maine.
As an independent, nonprofit organization, we work side by side with the University to support the aspirations of our students and the strategic vision of USM.
The Foundation is helping to expand access to education for students and strengthen pathways to academic and career success by:
- Raising the critical funds needed to support scholarships and other academic needs;
- Tapping into our powerful USM alumni network and partnering with employers in a responsive way.
Through the generosity of our donors, we are able to give more students the opportunity to excel in their studies, graduate and build fulfilling lives as they contribute their talents to Maine's workforce.
Why Giving Matters
- 52% of USM students are first-generation college students
- 85% rely on scholarships and financial aid to pay for their education
- Nearly 50% qualify for Federal Pell Grants, targeted to lower-income families
- $26,700 is the average student debt burden at graduation
Fostering a Culture of Generosity
The USM Foundation engages with alumni, community and employer partners to encourage philanthropic support for USM. These resources benefit scholarships, academic programs and new initiatives that will enrich the USM experience, today and for generations to come.
A Catalyst for Transformation
Now in our third decade of service, the USM Foundation is pursuing new and innovative ways to strengthen scholarship programs, raise capital and achieve ambitious goals, as we help to fuel transformation at the University of Southern Maine.
Ainsley N. Wallace is the President and CEO of the USM Foundation and leads an experienced and resourceful team dedicated to supporting the success of the University.
The Foundation is an independent, nonprofit 501 (c)(3) organization governed by a Board of Directors, which has full responsibility for the Foundation’s strategic direction and advancement efforts.
USM Foundation Board of Directors