Conditions Governing Reproduction and Publication or Use of Materials in the Franco-American Collection:
- Permission will be granted for use in a single edition of a single publication or a single exhibition. Additional language editions and new editions or exhibitions will be considered upon application. Photographic material may not be reused without written permission of the Franco-American Collection (FAC). The FAC will not grant exclusive rights to the use of materials to any party or parties, and does not surrender its own rights to publish the material or to grant permission to others to use the material. Materials requested for private research may not be included in publications without explicit permission from the FAC.
- Permission to use items from the FAC will be granted in compliance with USM Library Special Collections procedures, and with due regard for the nature and condition of the item. Retrieval and return of material must be arranged and supervised by the FAC staff.
- Expenses related to the use of any item from the FAC is the responsibility of the applicant.
- If a reproduction of a photograph, other graphic image, or object from the FAC is cropped in any way, the caption must include the word "detail." Nothing may be superimposed on photographs.
- Credit must be given in the publication or production to clearly identify the FAC and USM. The following citation should be used: [Name of Collection], Franco-American Collection, University of Southern Maine Libraries.
- Applicant shall donate a copy of their publication in which the reproduced material appears to the FAC.
- Responsibility for compliance with copyright law and observation of other publication rights, including literary rights, rests with the applicant and not with the FAC. The applicant assumes full and complete responsibility for any infringement of copyright law or other publication rights which may grow out of their use or publication of the material.
- The FAC reserves the right to deny use of its collections to any party or parties failing to comply with these regulations.