Franco-American History Fair, June 21 2014
Call for Participants
The University of Southern Maine's Franco-American Collection will be hosting a Franco-American History Fair Saturday June 21, from 9am - Midday and is actively seeking Maine historical societies, libraries, museums and genalogical socieities to participate.
What is a "History Fair?"
The event will be open to the public for free. It will feature:
- A selection of informational booths and displays by Maine-based historical groups or institutions with historical materials, designed to inform the public about the good work we do.
- Historical professionals and enthusiasts available to answer questions from the public
- At least one presentation on an historical theme
- An open-house for USM's Franco-American Collection
- Coffee, snacks and music
What isn't a "History Fair?"
The event is not a general Franco-American hertiage festival in the mold of the former Festival de Joie of Lewiston, or La Kermesse in Biddeford. The focus is more narrowly pointed at history and historical studies.
What's the benefit to my organization?
- Exposure - we're hoping to entice members of the public to learn more about the many resources for the study of Franco-American history available across the state of Maine.
- Customers - bring your freebies and items for sale (make sure you're prepared to handle your own sales).
- Networking - meet colleagues from other organizations
- No cost - participation is free
What should I bring? How can I participate?
- Yourself - one way to participate is to bring representatives from your organization to answer questions about the resources and services you offer.
- Your things - feel free to bring examples of historical objects you have in your collections, posterboard exhibits, a laptop to display your website, finding aids, etc.
- A way to reach you - bring fliers, posters, business cards, magnets, etc. that visitors can take away and use to reach out to you in the future
Great - I'm sold! How do I take part?
Email Collection Coordinator James Myall at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your attendence. Depending on availabilty, each participating organization will be offered one or two tables to use for display purposes. Those of you planning to set up displays will be given adequate time to do so. More information will follow as the event approaches.
Feel free to email email@example.com or call 207-753-6545 with any questions.