The health and well-being of students, faculty, and staff, and visitors to our campus is of paramount importance. All decisions and actions pertaining to the 2020–21 academic year are grounded in protecting all members of the USM community from the spread of the novel Coronavirus.
Classes began as scheduled on August 31. In-person instruction ended and residence halls closed on Wednesday, November 25 — the day before Thanksgiving. The final two weeks of the semester and exams are occurring remotely as scheduled. Winter session classes begin on Monday, Dec. 21. Spring semester classes will begin on Monday, Jan. 25. See the 2020–21 Academic Year calendar for more details.
- Read a message from USM President Glenn Cummings
- Read our 2020–21 Academic Year Plan
- Review the UMS Face Covering Guide
- How and When to Communicate about COVID-19 (Communication Scenario Flowchart)
- Read the UMS Return to Campus Guide for Employees (PDF)
- Watch the UMS Return to Campus training video (with ASL interpretation)*
- Watch the UMS Return to Campus training video*
- Review the COVID-19 Situation Matrix (Who Needs to Self-Isolate and When)
- Review the COVID-19 Alert Protocol (When USM Communicates About Cases)
- Read the Healthy Huskies Promise
- Learn How to Respond to Student Disclosures of Interpersonal Violence During the Pandemic
- See the archive of weekly Healthy Huskies Updates to faculty and staff
- See frequently requested office contact information and hours of operation
* Please log in to your campus portal before clicking the links above to watch the training videos. Hoonuit uses third-party cookies, so your browser needs to be configured to allow cookies.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have questions about how we are operating during the pandemic, please contact Alexander Porteous, USM’s Chief Operating Officer and COVID-19 Ombudsperson.
- Browse FAQs for Faculty & Staff
- View FAQs by Category: