University of Southern Maine, Portland campus
On the green outside of Payson Smith Hall
Friday, September 29, 2017, 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Reception to follow
In the event of inclement weather, the Gloria Duclos Convocation will be moved to the Sullivan Recreation and Fitness Complex gymnasium.
Please RSVP below by September 26.
The Gloria Duclos Convocation will be a major University event, launching a full year of events on the theme of Race and Participatory Democracy. This event will include a processional with faculty in academic regalia, a unique recognition of many of our top students, musical performances by students and faculty in our School of Music, and guest speakers, including keynote speaker Dòwòti Désir.
All staff and faculty who are not teaching a class (or involved in the Patient Safety Academy) during the event are expected to attend. All students, alumni, and members of our community are welcome and encouraged to join us for what promises to be an important University event.
Dr. Gloria S. Duclos is a renowned former Classics professor who inspired thousands of students at USM. Convocation is named in her honor and supported by the Gloria Duclos Convocation Fund.
- Faculty members are strongly encouraged to nominate up to two student Convocation Scholars. Submit a nomination.
- Classes will not be cancelled during this event.
- All offices will be closed during the Gloria Duclos Convocation, so that staff can attend. This event has been approved for release time.
- Portland offices will be closed from 9:30 AM to 1:00 PM
- Gorham offices will be closed from 9:00 AM to 1:30 PM
- Lewiston offices will be closed from 8:30 AM to 2:00 PM
- Reserved seating will be provided for attendees requiring the service of ASL interpreters. Please email Bob Stein in advance to let us know the number of seats you need.
- Transportation will be provided to the Portland campus from both the Gorham and Lewiston campuses. Please indicate your interest when you RSVP below.
- A special bus will depart Gorham at 8:30 AM for faculty and Convocation Scholars participating in the ceremony.
- A second bus will depart Gorham at 9:00 AM for staff and students attending the event.
- A bus to Portland will depart from the Lewiston campus at 8:30 AM.
- Buses back to both Gorham and Lewiston will depart from the Portland campus after the event at 1:00 PM.
- A live stream will be made available on the day of the event.