In collaboration with the Professional and Classified Senates, the USM HR team is excited to announce the introduction of a new informational series of events called Informing U @ USM.
One of the clear messages we received from the Community Inclusion training attendees and our Onboarding focus groups is that we need to identify and create ways to more fully engage as a community. This series is a direct response to that call for action and is intended to provide you with a variety of opportunities to connect to and engage with campus and system resources.
Our sincere hope is that these informational sessions will support your interests and goals at USM! These events are open to all staff and faculty employees at USM, including those UMS employees who work on USM campus locations.
See below for upcoming dates to save! This page will update frequently with more details, new dates and events, etc. so please check back in the future for more updates:
November is Benefits Open Enrollment Month! USM Has some Benefits and Wellness related events happening on campus for all employees- Including a "Get to Know your Benefits Fair" with representatives from UMS Benefits and our benefits vendors on campuses. Learn more here.
Balancing Work and personal life - EAP on campus Wellness Seminar **To be rescheduled** Please follow up for new date.
December- Holiday Mindfullness
Holiday Stress: Putting "Happy" back into the holidays - EAP on campus Wellness Seminar: December 1st 12:00pm-1:00pm Portland campus Luther Bonney Hall 241
Previous Events in 2017:
March- Cultural Resources on Campus
- Lewiston-Auburn College LibraryBook A Librarian - Your Space, Your Choice! Want to learn more about finding & using the library's resources in 20-30 minutes? Book A Librarian! No need to find coverage - we'll come to YOU! Look for a DVD or streaming video. Borrow a cookbook. Find an ancestor. Locate and print an article on your topic. Learn smart online searching tips. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a session in March.
- Planetarium- Staff Night Sky Tour-Show and talk!- Come, check out the USM's Southworth Planetarium and attend a Night Sky Tour show - Portland campus - March 9th 11:30-12:30pm
- Glickman Library Guided Tours: “Secrets of the Library” Friday, March 10th- Did you know:
- The Glickman Library building was built in 1919 by the T.A. Huston Company and was the newest and largest bakery in the east at that time?
- Glickman Library houses the Learning Commons, Center for Collaboration and Development (CCD), Center for Technology Enhanced Learning (CTEL) and IT student support services?
- There is an old bank vault that is now a recording studio in Glickman?
Come learn more about the history of the building and the huge array of services and resources available to students, faculty, staff, and their families.
Tour the 5th Floor Photo Gallery and see the view of the city from the 7th Floor Reading Room.
Tour will begin at:
Meet on the first floor of Glickman Library
Behind the Scenes Tours of Glickman Library Special Collections and the Osher Map Library: Friday, March 17th
Osher Map Library (OML) - Behind the Scenes
In just 30 minutes you will see:
- The 2nd largest collection of historic globes in a public institution in North America
- Rare treasures from OML’s map and atlas collection – original maps, atlases, and globes dating back to 1475.
- A state of the art Digital Imaging Center
Special Collections - Behind the Scenes
In just 30 minutes you will see:
- The 1983 Gay Monopoly Game, distributed by Fire Island Games
- A runaway slave sign
- KKK Charter from Auburn Maine
- A book published in 1499
- 1950’s handbooks for female college students
Special Collections offers the University fabulous primary resources in a beautiful facility, including a Conference Room available for that special meeting you are planning, an exhibition area, and work rooms.
- Noon - Osher Map Library (Off the 1st floor arcade, Glickman Library)
- 12:30pm – Special Collections (6th Floor, Glickman Library)
- 1:00pm – Osher Map Library (Off the 1st floor arcade, Glickman Library)
- 1:30pm – Special Collections (6th Floor, Glickman Library)
- Art Gallery - Attend an Exhibition viewing and Gallery tour with a pizza Lunch provided by the Art Gallery- Gorham campus - March 21st 12:00pm-1:00pm
- Theater and Concert Hall- Tour & Talk! -Have you ever been behind the stage curtain? Come and learn about the upcoming productions, how the Main Stage at Russell Hall Theater and Corthell Concert Hall operate and how they can be resources to you on campus- both personally and professionally - Gorham campus - March 23 12:00pm- 1:00pm
- *Meet in the lobby at the Main Stage at Russell Hall Theater to begin the Tour. Feel free to bring your lunch to eat at the cafe tables before the tour starts.*
All Things Digital at the Library: Friday, March 24th
As an employee of the University, you and your family have free access to an abundance of digital resources and services.
In just 30 minutes you will find out how you can:
- Access over 240 databases, from Ancestry Library to Wildlife and Ecology Studies
- Download eBooks and Audio Books
- Access almost any library in the state to find what you are looking for, request it and have it delivered to you here on campus or to your computer
- Use InterLibrary loan, a free service for getting articles and books when you can’t find what you are looking for through Maine resources
- Learn about Digital Commons@USM
- Access free online practice tests ranging from fire fighter to the LSAT
- And much more…
Demos of Digital Resources will begin at:
Seminar Room 1, 2nd Floor Glickman Library
- Franco-American Collection -Tour the Franco-American Collection and learn about upcoming exhibits, events, and uses of the collection- both for personal enrichment (See our exhibits, do research into your Franco-American roots, attend our events) and/or for curriculum connections (for example: History, French, and Sociology have direct connections, but there's also a broader educational piece related to how different cultures act and interact.) - Lewiston campus- March 29th 12:00pm-12:30pm
- Webinar: Dismantling myths about annuities 3/14 12:00pm-1:00pm
- Webinar: Integrating healthcare into your retirement plan 3/14 3:00pm-4:00pm
- Webinar: Estate planning- taxing matters 3/15 12:00pm-1:00pm
- Webinar: A financial guide for women 3/15 3:00pm-4:00pm
- Webinar: Income options in retirement 3/16 12:00pm-1:00pm
- Webinar: A retirement checkpoint 3/16 3:00pm-4:00pm
- Register for all TIAA hosted webinars here.
- TIAA Financial Consultant Meetings on USM Campuses 3/7, 3/8, 3/21, and 3/30.
- Register here for a meeting time slot.
February was a Financial Wellness month:
- Information Session: Budgeting for 2017 & UCU Credit Union Benefits available to employees of USM- Hosted by UCU. No RSVP necessary.
- Lewiston Campus 2/8 12:00pm-1:00pm Room 283
- Gorham Campus 2/15 1:00pm-2:00pm 10 Bailey Hall
- Portland Campus 2/22 1:00pm-2:00pm Wishcamper 133
- Information Session: Money at Work. Hosted by TIAA rep Laura Adamski.
Understanding the role of investing, protecting against various
risks, augmenting traditional savings programs to help accelerate
retirement savings, the products and the tools available to manage
a growing portfolio. More details and RSVP here.
- Thursday, 2/23-
- Portland Campus 12:00pm-1:00pm 241 Luther Bonney
- Gorham Campus 12:00pm-1:00pm Bailey Hall 113 via polycom
- Lewiston Campus 12:00pm-1:00pm Room 104 via polycom
- Information Session: Planning for Retirement: What is partial phase retirement? How does it work? What are my options available? Hosted by USM HR. No RSVP necessary.
- Portland Campus 2/24 11:30am- 12:30pm HR conference room 39 Exeter Street
- TIAA Finanical Consultant Meetings on USM Campuses 2/21, 2/22, and 28.
- Register here for a meeting time slot.
- Webinar: Demystifying Life Insurance 2/14 12:00pm-1:00pm
- Webinar: All about IRAs 2/14 3:00pm-4:00pm
- Webinar: Social Security Planning 2/15 12:00pm-1:00pm
- Webinar: Money at Work 1 2/15 3:00pm-4:00pm
- Webinar: The 411 on 529 plans 2/16 12:00pm-1:00pm
- Webinar: Managing inocme and debt 2/16 3:00pm-4:00pm
- Webinar: Protect you, your family and your money 2/28 12:00pm-1:00pm
April- Physical Wellness-
-Take a tour of the Sullivan Recreation and Fitness Complex and learn about the fitness related benefits available to USM employees and their families! Hosted by Kevin Normand from Sullivan Fitness Center. Tuesday, April 4th 12:00pm-1:00pm. Meet in the Sullivan Gym lobby.
-Suicide Awareness for Employees- Attend an EAP on campus Wellness Seminar: Thursday, April 6th 12:00pm - 1:00pm, Payson Smith Meeting room #1, Portland campus.
- Discuss common myths about suicide
- Review suicide statistics
- Understand risk factors and warning signs
- Explore relationship between depression and suicide
- Learn steps to take when someone could be a potential suicide risk
-Do you know how much to exercise? Where to start exercising? What is appropriate for your lifestyle?
Attend a Tresle Tree Wellness Seminar: Current Recommendations for Exercise and How to Meet those Goals
Friday, April 7th 11:30am-12:30pm- Bailey Hall 10, Gorham campus
During this seminar you will be introduced to the current exercise guidelines for adults. You will learn how to identify the different forms of exercise – cardiovascular, strength, and flexibility – and begin to explore ways to incorporate these exercises into your daily routine, including:
· Different options for exercise
· Current exercise guidelines for adults
· Simple skills to get started with exercises
· Ways to incorporate exercise into your daily routine
-How much awarness do you currently have of nutrition guidelines? Are you getting enough vegetables and fruit in your diet? How do you figure out the number of calories you should aim to eat each day?
Attend a Tresle Tree Wellness Seminar: Current Recommendations for Nutrition: Choose My Plate
Wednesday, April 12th 12:30pm-1:30pm- Payson Smith meeting room 1, Portland Campus
During this seminar you will be introduced to the current nutrition guidelines for healthy eating, Choose My Plate. You will learn how to determine your calorie needs to guide you in eating the recommended amounts of each of the food groups (fruits, vegetables, grains, proteins, and fats), including:
· Current nutrition guidelines for healthy eating
· How to rate your plate
· How to read nutrition fact labels
· Ideas for small changes to build a healthy eating style
-Meet & Greet: Coffee with the Wellness Committee - Thursday April 13th 12:00p-1:00pm- Drop in- 39 Exeter Street, Portland
Are you interested in health, exercise, campus wellness and wellbeing, or just want to get out of the office to meet some colleagues? Are you an information hub for your department who can easily spread the word when great events are happening? Come to the Wellness Committee Meet & Greet at the HR space on 4/13! Meet with current Wellness Champions, and learn about ways to get involved with the committee and opportunities available- no matter how much time you may have to provide!
-Husky Day of Service- Friday April 14th 8:45am- 2:00pm- Portland and Lewiston
Attend the Husky Day of Service and obtain Level 2 completion credit for RiseUp!
Release time has been approved for great community supporting event. Look for additional information and links to sign up with the office of Community Engagment and Career Development here: https://usm.maine.edu/community-engagement-career-development/huskydos
-USM's 11th Annual Flint Knapp-In Event: Saturday, April 15th 10:00am-4:00pm- 3rd Floor Bailey Hall, Gorham Campus
The Knapp-In Event is back! The University of Southern Maine's Geography-Anthropology Student Association will be hosting a Knapp-In Event at the Gorham Campus which is free to students and the public. Activities include: flint knapping (making stone tools), atlatl throwing, geocaching, nature tours, orienteering, sand box archaeology, cave art drawing, presentations, and more!! Professional flint knappers will be on site teaching the craft of stone tool making, while professors and students from geography, anthropology, archaeology, and environmental science will be presenting on an array of research subjects. Additionally, student research and archaeological materials will be on display along with a 50/50 raffle. Please come join the Geography-Anthropology Student Association for this wonderful event! Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/USM-Geography-Anthropology-Student-Association-436112673091794/Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/235091976954705/
-Ergonomics Training session with MEMIC- April 21st 12:00pm-1:00pm Payson Smith Room 44- Portland Campus
*Please note updated date for this session*
Come and learn from our MEMIC rep about the importance of ergonimic safey! Do you sit in one place for much of the day? Do you have to do lifting for your position? Do you have aches and paints from how your work station is set up? Come and learn how to properly set up your work station and other great tips to staying healthy in the workplace.
-USM Wellness Walk Thursday 4/20 at 11:00am-1:00pm Portland, Gorham, & Lewiston campuses
The USM Wellness Walk is a simultaneous celebration of Spring set for April 20th between the hours of 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. when everyone on all three USM campuses is invited to step out on a 1-1.5- mile circuit of campus and join together in an activity happening at the same time in Portland, Gorham, and Lewiston-Auburn.
Grab your complimentary water bottle, (save it to hydrate in the office as part of your ongoing fitness plan), and don’t forget to bring your non-perishable contribution to the Husky Hunger Drive for your campus food pantry too. The USM Wellness Walk also counts toward fulfilling your Level II incentive. Spouses or Domestic Partners who also need to complete Level 2 are welcome to attend with RSVP.
Register to participate in the Wellness Walk here: https://goo.gl/forms/m79VwXB920LjJq0I2
-Do you have health related goals you would like to work toward? Are you always looking for new strategies to help yourself stay on track whether you are starting a new exercise routine, a new diet, etc.?
Attend a Trestle Tree Wellness Seminar: Setting Goals and Sticking to Them
Thursday, April 27th 12:00pm-1:00pm -Room 285, Lewiston/Auburn Campus
This seminar will focus on how to set goals using the SMART approach. Once these goals are in place, it is important to continue to monitor and track progress, modify your goals as needed, and reward your successes. This seminar will describe how to utilize these additional strategies to help you stay on track with your health goals, including:
· Identify your motivation to change
· Understand your vision, mission and values
· Understand how to use SMART goals to support your vision, mission and values
· Learn the importance of rewarding your success
-USM Eastern Trail Event Saturday 4/29 -Check in runs from 9:00am-9:30am: Various locations on the Eastern Trail-
Choose one of three locations on the Eastern Trail to Check In:
1. Kennbunk: Check in with Kaite Mahoney at the Kennebunk Elementary School parking lot and start your trail at the Kennbunk entrance.
2. Scarborough: Check in with Lisa Brisette at the Eastern Trail parking lot off of the Pine Point Road entrance and start your trail at the Scarborough entrance.
3. South Portland: Check in with Meghan Schratz in the Bug Light parking lot and start your trail at the South Portland entrance.
The Eastern Trail Event is scheduled to take place on April 29th. It’s a chance for employees to get outside and greet Spring no matter their workday schedule. And, because it’s set for a Saturday, the whole family can participate together in a 1-1.5-mile walk or hike. Make plans to join in and get your T-shirt to not only commemorate your having taken part, but recognize your friends and colleagues along the way at the same time. Participation in the Eastern Trail Event counts toward satisfying your Level II health plan incentive. Family members- including spouses or Domestic Partners who also need to complete Level 2 are welcome to attend with RSVP.
Register to participate in the Eastern Trail Event here: https://goo.gl/forms/HUPNVN1wxODODiFA2
May- With graduation happening, and planning for the fall semseter, we focus on Education opportunities!
- Check out the UMS Tuition Waiver Page for details about this program open to benefits eligible employees.
- Did you know that UMS employees also get 20% discount on Professional Development programs? Learn more here: https://usm.maine.edu/professional-development-programs/registration-discounts
Were you unable to attend the Tuition Waiver Info Session on 5/24? Check out these resources from the discussion:
Staff and Faculty are invited to attend an Informing U@USM Information Session on Wednesday, May 24th at 11:00am in 211 Wishcamper in Portland about the tuition waiver program and applying to do a degree at USM! Did you know that most benefits eligible employees are eligible for tuition waivers? These tuition waivers can be applicable to you, and your dependents- including your spouse/domestic partners. These waivers can be applied to ANY of the seven schools in the University of Maine System- with a new streamlined process with only one Tuition form needed to submit. At the Information session, representatives from the USM Admissions office, UMS Benefits, Registrar's office, and Student Financial Aide will be available to discuss the process for joining the USM educational family, and answer questions that range from-
- How do I apply?
- What costs are associated with applying?
- How can I get credit toward a degree?
- How do I register for classes?
- How does Student Financial Aide work?
- If I get a tuition waiver, how does that affect my financial aide award package?
- What level of waiver do I qualify for?
- Who qualifies as a "dependent" for this process?
- Is graduate school covered?
- How does a tuition waiver affect my taxes?
And many more! This session would be useful to anyone interested in learning more about the tuition waiver process, the application and admissions process, as well as financial aide. If you or a family member are thinking about applying to college soon, you won't want to miss this opportunity to connect with professionals right on your campus.
Additional Tuition Reimbursement resources- Who to ask for what? http://usm.maine.edu/human-resources/tuition-waviers
June - Home and Family Support
Navigating Eldercare: A compass for caregivers- EAP on campus Wellness Seminar: June 8th 11:00am-12:00pm. Gorham campus HA166
We are hosting EAP in June for an on campus seminar as part of the Informing U@ USM program. Come and learn about strategies as well as resources available to you as a USM employee that the EAP can assit with regard to eldercare and planning for the future.
Navigating Eldercare: A Compass for Caregivers
• Review tips for determining your elder’s needs
• Explore different approaches to living arrangements
• Learn how to plan legally, medically and financially
• Discuss the importance of connection
• Recognize your needs as a caregiver
RSVP here to attend: https://goo.gl/forms/WFduwGnzWnmjI3Jn1
July/August- Informing U will be taking a brief summer hiatus as our new Staff and Faculty Senate leadership gets set up. Check back frequently for upcoming events as they are scheduled! As a reminder, EAP and TIAA offer monthly educational webinars free of charge to USM employees.
October - Events To Know Happening Across Campus for USM Employees:
Open to all USM employees who work with payroll forms: UMS Payroll Forms Training and Q&A with April Strowbridge, Dir of Operations, 10/11 11am in Portland and Gorham. More details & Sign up: https://usm.maine.edu/human-resources/payroll-forms-training
Open to all active part time faculty at USM: Part time faculty Symposium 10/11 4:30pm and 10/27 at 9:00am in Portland. Opportunity for all Part time faculty to attend a session on USM Resources and receive Title IX training. More details and RSVP: https://goo.gl/forms/RkPTOobacJACKJhx2
Open to all USM Employees: EAP- Effective Communication Strategies Session 10/19 at 1pm at LAC
Identify different communication styles, learn strategies to help you become a more engaging communicator, understand how to adjust your communication style to your audience! RSVP here: https://goo.gl/forms/RLumYCMeuB3RGb9q1
Open to all recent new hires to USM: New hire Coffee 10/20 at 9:00am Portland
Are you a recent hire to USM? Have you attended a new hire coffee yet? Attend to network and meet other recent hires, members of the leadership team and employee resources! RSVP to Meghan Schratz at Meghan.email@example.com if you have not already.
Open to all USM employees: TIAA Consulting appointments available with Ann Williams- Review your retirement planning goals! Complete a rollover from an old job! Sign up for fall dates at www.tiaa.org/schedulenow
Openings still available for October 23rd in Gorham!
Open to all USM Employees: Wellness Committee Bradbury Hike- 10/28 at 10:00am
USM Hikes Bradbury! Join in for a free family friendly hike in Pownal, ME. Feel free to wear you Halloween costumes or USM gear! Hot chocolate at the top of the mountain, complimentary USM water bottles, great familiy fun that counts for Level 2 RiseUp credit! Find out details and sign up here: https://usm.maine.edu/wellness
If you have any feedback or suggestions for this program, please contact Meghan Schratz in HR at firstname.lastname@example.org