Welcome to the University of Southern Maine. You have joined a university with deep roots in the cultural, scientific, business and economic life of Maine.
As you explore USM, you will discover an institution characterized by energy, enthusiasm, and innovation, an institution at the heart of its community and dedicated to transforming lives. At USM we believe deeply in excellent teaching, service to students, and in supporting the professional success and growth of our employees.
We are proud of our services in Human Resources, and it is our hope that you will find satisfaction in your contribution to the USM mission. Please let us know how we can help you learn more about the University or about navigating your University career.
New Hire Checklists:
Before you start at USM:
- Learn about the Benefits offered to you as a University of Maine System employee, including details about our wellness program, RiseUp. For Benefits eligible employees, you will have 31 days from your hire to register for benefits in MaineStreet.
- Become familiar with official University Holidays.
- Read about USM policies and, if applicable, your collective bargaining agreement.
- Learn about USM and the programs offered.
- Get familiar with the lay out of the three campuses of USM, Gorham, Portland, and Lewiston-Auburn with their campus maps.
- Review the forms you will need to submit for your hire to be complete with payroll.
- Read our USM Welcome Guide to assist with orientating you to campus.
During your first week of work at USM:
- Complete any compliance trainings assigned in UMS Academy. You will receive an email from UMS Academy once they are loaded in your profile and ready to be completed.
- Register for any campus or department specific trainings as requested by your department such as:
- Review how to submit/approve electronic timesheets for payroll.
- Obtain your USM Card and learn about the benefits that come with that resource.
- Obtain a parking pass following the parking instructions.
- Make sure that your work space is set up- Do you have a facilities issue or question? Submit a facilities work order.
- Do you need a key for space access?
- Are you in need of IT resources?
- Helpdesk: 207.780.4029 or email@example.com
- Request network access
- IT Knowledge Base- Includes lots of How To Articles related to IT needs!
- CMS Resources
- Register for emergency alerts managed by the Office of Public Safety.
- Stop by and register for use of the on campus fitness facilities in Portland or Gorham.
- Familiarize yourself with the internal resources on the My UMS portal and MaineStreet, including MaineStreet user guides.
- Ensure you know how to enter your time online in MaineStreet, or approve it if you are a supervisor:
Time Entry Quick Guides - pdf
Beyond the first week:
- Explore other resources available to you as a staff member of the university such as your on campus libraries, campus dining options, the University Credit Union, discounts, staff senates, and campus cultural resources.
- Learn about Research Integrity and Outreach at USM.
- Get on some USM listservs for up to date community news and events.
- Become familiar with Performance Management processes at USM.