Welcome to the University of Southern Maine!
You have joined a university with deep roots in the cultural, scientific, business and economic life of Maine.
As you explore USM, you will discover an institution characterized by energy, enthusiasm, and innovation; an institution at the heart of its community and dedicated to transforming lives. At USM we believe deeply in excellent teaching, service to students, and in supporting the professional success and growth of our employees.
We are proud of our services in Human Resources, and it is our hope that you will find satisfaction in your contribution to the USM mission. Please let us know how we can help you learn more about the University or about navigating your University career.
Become familiar with USM as your employer:
- Learn about the Benefits offered to you as a University of Maine System employee, including details about our wellness program, MotivateMe.
- For benefits eligible employees, you will have 31 days from your hire date to register for benefits.
- Review your Collective Bargaining Agreement or Non-Represented Employee Handbook.
- View Campus Maps - Gorham, Portland and Lewiston-Auburn.
- Review the payroll schedule and University Holidays
- Explore the President's Website, including the USM - The Next Five Years, Healthy Huskies, and the Black Lives Matter Statement and Antiracism Pledge, etc.
Prepare for your first day:
Be sure to check with your supervisor about when and where to report to work on your first day. Regular employees are strongly encouraged to attend HR orientation and you will receive an invitation with details to the email listed on your application.
On your first day, your supervisor will complete the Form I-9 with you, so please bring acceptable Form I-9 documentation.
Note: Some links will require your MaineStreet log-in credentials (your @maine.edu email name and password).
- Activate your UMS account and begin the Activity Guide. For instructions, see the First Day Instructions resource.
- Work with your supervisor to complete new hire paperwork:
- Review the Employee Resources site.
- Obtain your USM Card and Parking Pass.
- Familiarize yourself with how to use MaineStreet as an employee (Employee Self-Service, Time Entry, etc.).
- If applicable, sign up for benefits within 31 days from your start date via MaineStreet.
- Complete the mandatory compliance trainings.
- Register for any campus or department-specific trainings as requested by your department, such as:
- If applicable, submit a key access request.
Helpful IT Resources:
- Explore other resources available to you as a staff member of the university such as
- Explore Faculty & Staff Resources and Services
- Learn about Research Integrity and Outreach.
- Subscribe to USM Listservs for up to date community news and events.
- Become familiar with Performance Management processes at USM.
- Stop by and register for FREE use of the on-campus fitness facilities in Portland or Gorham.